major mods!

ok so i have an 89 se 4x4, i have a 350ci chevy small block, with the 5 speed it had from the camaro it was in. ive read up on the swap and i planned a 3in body lift to allow it to fit plus the e fans. i also plan a SAS, but i am short on knowedge of everything about it and i could not find a detailed descrition or any pics.

my main concerns are as followed;

(1) transfer case, what should i be looking for specifically?

(2)axles,is there a vehicle that both axles and posibly the-case would work with the nissan/chevy?

(3)suspension on sas, i have no clue on that and the other posts just confused me!?!?

(4)motor mounts, any one sell them for the swap?

(5)also is there anything i should be worried about in making the auto pathy a standard?

im sorry if this doesnt make sense , just post questions/concerns and ill answer specifically

also if i can find decent info and ideas then there will be a bunch of parts up for grabs

sincererlly,the ignortant newbie

Edited by chevypathy

you can get a chevy 205 and then chevy running gear and throw on some leafs your front will be a low pinion which will suck but lots of guys do it. I can hook you up with a sas swap kit to put the leafs on if you want one just pm me for more details! the only thing as far as auto to stick is you need to figure out your neutral safety switch wire so it will start any one that has done a 5sp swap already should be able to help you on that one. 4x4parts.com sells sbc motor mounts

Edited by nismopathy93

i found the 205tcase for about 350$

where would i find the correct leafs, and also i went to 4x4pats.com and could not find the sbc motor mounts you described please provide link if possible

thanks for your help

chevy pathy

wait so would i be keeping the nissan rear end? and also supension ideas....it has a 3in sus. lift but im looking for something stronger, something able to take light jumps

thank you leo!

and how do i check to see what tranny it is specifically?

and it came out of a 1992 camaro 5sp 350ci tbi, i hope tht helps lol it would be a very nice car to drive but i want off road more than on.

so any gm front axle would work? what gearing do i need to look for? also rear end? and chevy running gear? can you ellaborate on tht? and wouldnt it be in the tranny already? sorry im clueless here

thanks again,

slightly less confused

TBI or TPI? 92's never came with 350s and 5 speeds. Sounds like its a truck TBI 350. Nothing wrong with that, plenty of power for a small truck like this.

Check the casting numbers on the tranny. I'm guessing its a t5 or the like but that generation F-body had 2 separate trannys, one for the v6 and one for the v8 (same bolt pattern) but the v6 had a super low 1st gear and a big leap between 2nd and 3rd (I believe).

Any GM front axle will work, a dana 44 is best but a 10 bolt will survive a while. As far as gearing check what you have stock, it should be ethier 4.37 or 4.63. The way you tell is by checking the fender tag on the passage side fender for a HG43 or HG46. You will need too regear the front axle too meet the needs of the rear unless you swap both out from the same donor.

The rear axle is plenty strong for just about any need a pathfinder owner should have. Unless you have massive tires and lots of jumping then I would look for a 6 lug 14 bolt. Now the 14 bolt is bullet proof but very heavy and fat.

Leaf springs, you can run after market ones or ones from the junk yard.

I build custom springs that you can get in any lift and push your axle how ever far forward you want they are a bit more money then some places but are all usa made and dont sag out with in the first few trips like some do.

preview_image_0_26093082x.jpg

that has a set of my springs on the front

yeah i hope to find a 3/4 ton chevy in the junkyard and use it as a donor truck for numerous parts and yeah the motor was out of a chevy truck. and how hard is it to mount the leafs ive never done mods like this but i dont want to send my pathy away to get worked on nor do i have the money

nismopathy93 how much for a 6in lift? front and rear?

Are your prices pretty much the same as AC for a 2-3" lift for an R50?

I build custom springs that you can get in any lift and push your axle how ever far forward you want they are a bit more money then some places but are all usa made and dont sag out with in the first few trips like some do.

springs are 400 an end and the hanger and shackle kit is 275 shipping included on the hanger and shackle kit but not on the springs. It is super simple to cut off the ifs and weld on the hanger and drill the frame for the frame tube!! I use trail gear shock hoops and get shocks from them as well cuz they are cheaper then I can make the hoops

IceMan2989 I have never put the kit on an r50 since they are a sub frame I dont think that if would work well for you?

ok so i have an 89 se 4x4, i have a 350ci chevy small block, with the 5 speed it had from the camaro it was in. ive read up on the swap and i planned a 3in body lift to allow it to fit plus the e fans. i also plan a SAS, but i am short on knowedge of everything about it and i could not find a detailed descrition or any pics.

my main concerns are as followed;

(1) transfer case, what should i be looking for specifically?

(2)axles,is there a vehicle that both axles and posibly the-case would work with the nissan/chevy?

(3)suspension on sas, i have no clue on that and the other posts just confused me!?!?

(4)motor mounts, any one sell them for the swap?

(5)also is there anything i should be worried about in making the auto pathy a standard?

im sorry if this doesnt make sense , just post questions/concerns and ill answer specifically

also if i can find decent info and ideas then there will be a bunch of parts up for grabs

sincererlly,the ignortant newbie

1) pathys are short and narrow wheelbase so it is best to use a mated T-case to save space and allow best rear drive line angles. I do not know if the tail housing comes off on a 2wd T5 tranny to bolt on a t-case but if I had my choice of t-case I would be an NP205 or NP208 or something of that series. These are Gear driven oem t-cases found on american brands that stand up to lots of abuse and one of those will bolt to a 5speed that also bolts to your 350. I'm not knocking the pathy TX10 but it is chain drive and the chain will stretch when lots of torque is applied to it.

3) narrow down the confusion,my opinion is to go with a radius arm sas (google it) is a simple yet effective way of getting ok flex and suspesion for a sas. Muti links are great but it gets complicated and gemoetry is what will probably confuse you especially when there is not allot off room below/arround the engine for the links.

5) no, its great, most auto pathy's came with lower gear ratio's (4.6 vs 4.3) in the axle anyway. 2) if your leaving the rear axle alone your front axle should have 4.6 gears in it. give or take 0.1 shouldn't hurt as long is 4wd is for trail use only. CHECK OUT RUGGED ROCKS OFFROAD I think they have an axle that accepts h233b pumpkins (same as your rear) then your ratios and differentials can be identical front and rear.

ok so i found a chevy 4x4 in my local junkyard and i plan on buying it fully loaded. so that takes care of drivetrain i just need the suspension i love the leaf spring idea it seems ike the best way