VQ40

I've seen a lot of chatter about swapping a vq35 into a z car but I haven't found any good write ups on it. I was wondering if anyone while cruising the net happend to run across a good write up of how they are doing that swap. I was hoping I might adapt that to the wd21.

I have toed with this idea for a long time. I found a company that will make me a engine management harness, plug and play...

http://www.zfever.com/v1/

Then use a G35/350z ECU. Possiblities shoot through the roof.

Getting the transmission figure out is the issue, but I do remember a hybrid trans figure. Swapping the tail housings and gears, IIRC.

So far about the only way to do this project seems to be to either get a donor truck and move every electronic piece motor and trans or get someone to reprogram the ecu so it doesn't need all the other electronics and move the engine and trans. Sounds like it would be incredibly difficult/expensive without a donor truck sitting right there. Still dieing to try this though.

Yeah, I doubt the OBD1 computer would know what to do with the VQ. VGs have a single coil and a distributor. VQs have coil packs. VGs have cable throttles, VQs are drive-by-wire. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it seems to me like this project will be difficult enough just on the mechanical end. Unless you have leet hax, probably best to get an aftermarket system or adapt the factory stuff.

I doubt it would be worth the effort unless you got a donor truck for next to nothing.

Not saying I was going to spend a crap ton of money on this but worth is in the wallet of the purchaser.

No way to adapt an old VG30 ECU to a VQ, they just can't do anything with it.

Thought about Megasquirt?

Can't use a megasquirt here in Cali. My plan was to get a donor truck and move everything from the old one to the new one engine sensors accesories all the extra crap the new ecu needs and all. Basicaly I want to keep the old body and look with the new toys under the hood.

It would be reasonably easy if you have a donor wrecked vehicle, literally just swap everything over from one truck to the other and mount everything. Custom engine mounts would probably be the only thing you would have to fab other than maybe some oil pan clearance and brackets to mount it all. Seems pretty straight forward as far as swaps go.

A vq to vg adapter plate for the engine and trans connection would make things easiest but u could always swap the whole powertrain over and just adapt the drive shafts to work.

Might have to modify your trans cross member a bit too if u have to swap the whole powertrain over, also make sure not to damage the original main wire harness so u can wire your project truck with it, have to swap all engine electronics and probably adapt the emissions too

Edited by Nefarious

As cool as the vq40 is, the DBW system sucked, especially with a manual. Always felt like the computer was more in control than I was. There was a different map for low range than high, delayed throttle response. I think you would also have to tune out all of the traction control nannies and ALBS.

Other than the coolness of keeping things all Nissan, you'd probably be dollars for doughnuts ahead with a SBC swap. Not to mention timing chain issues on the vq...

As cool as the vq40 is, the DBW system sucked, especially with a manual. Always felt like the computer was more in control than I was. There was a different map for low range than high, delayed throttle response. I think you would also have to tune out all of the traction control nannies and ALBS.

Other than the coolness of keeping things all Nissan, you'd probably be dollars for doughnuts ahead with a SBC swap. Not to mention timing chain issues on the vq...

To clarify I want to take this project on in order to

1 have a totaly bitching project that would take me at least a year to complete.

2 have a 250 - 300 hp engine in an wd21 also bitchin.

3 keep it smoggable in the peoples republic of California.

As far as the DBW system I have seen a bunch of 240 sites that talk about removing DBW and putting in a throttle cable, any thoughts on that ?