Factory Hitch

Trogdor636

Anybody know what size bolts are on the factory tow hitch? There is one at my local yard and I'd like to go grab it, but I want to make sure I take the right tools. Will the rear bumper have to come off? How does it mount? I grabbed an aftermarket one on half price day but the mounting system was garbage and rusted away, and I like how the factory one mounts much better. Thanks in advance.

IIRC the rear bumper does need to come off, but I could be wrong. I was going to grab the one from the yard when I was getting the rear bumper but didn't have enough $$. Go figure it was gone 2 weeks later. :headwall:

WxChaser is right if it is a Nissan hitch you have to remove the rear bumper first.

IIRC the bolts for the hitch to the frame are 17mm, but its been awhile.

I got my off a salvage yard pathfinder with a basic 20 piece wrench and socket set.

It has a Nissan factoryish looking sticker on it so I'm assuming its a factory hitch. I may run out there later or tomorrow. I'll just take more tools than I think I need in case. Thanks guys.

If its a factory hitch the sticker on it will have a part number printed on it starting with 999

Mine has V5 999T5 W3001 max weight 3500lbs max tongue is 350 lbs. I've had it on my 88 and the 94 and didn't have to pull the bumper on either to install it,the bolt and nuts were 19s if I remember

The bolts were all 19's. I think you could do the job with one 19mm wrench, and a 1/2 inch drive 19mm socket. Take a breaker bar just in case. Not terribly difficult to get to. I'm not sure the bumper could of stayed on with the way the little nut inserts sat inside, but I'll know once I try to put it on mine. I took the bumper off at the junkyard because they had it nose high and it wasnt something I felt comfortable crawling under anyway. Plus the ground was soaked due to all the recent rain. Took me about 20 minutes solo, bolts all came off with just a 1/2 ratchet, only a couple I needed a 1/2 breaker bar. Makes me want a Cali Pathy instead of my midwest transplanted one I have!

I'll check my part number. It does start with 999. Due to the different bumpers from the one I pulled it off (a 92) and mine (94) it does mount a little different. My 94 had these ridiculous brackets that didn't do anything I had to take off first. I will be able to install it without taking the bumper off, which is a plus. I'll have a buddy help me or I'll use my floor jack to finish installing it today or tomorrow.