luggage area light question

ahardb0dy

94 PF, the luggage area light in my PF comes on when the rear hatch (not the glass) is opened, I know it is a 3 position switch same as the front light (on,door,off), is the luggage light supposed to only come on when the rear hatch is opened? Or should it come on when any of the other doors are opened? I would prefer it to come on with the front light and I'm sure if it is working the way it is intended that it probably wouldn't be too hard to make it come on with the other doors. Anyone do this?

Edited by ahardb0dy

I was intrigued and went out to check mine, it works the same as yours. Off-on with hatch open-on consistant. It don't come on with the door open even with both set in the middle position. I would think it to be a easy upgrade to make it come on with the front doors though, just tap the 'on when open' side of it off the front interior lights 'on when open' setting

So I was looking at the wiring schematic and the front and rear side doors have one wire going to the door switch, which indicates to me that when the door is open it connects a ground allowing the front light to come on, but the rear hatch switch has 2 wires going to it wonder why?

If I was to run a ground wire from the Dr. door switch to the rear hatch switch wire, I guess the luggage area light would come on when the Dr's door is opened too? what do you think?

Here is the page from the FSM:

wbc2z8.jpg

Shouldnt be too hard at all. there is plenty of space to run wires from the back under the headliner and to the front.

Just need some bulk wire and connectors.

Just did something similar on the Scoobaru last weekend.

Edited by Alkorahil

Looking at the schematic, it appears all the door switches connect into a central wire that goes to the ground for the front light, so I'm wondering if I tie a wire into the Dr. door switch than run it back to the ground going to the luggage area light if it would complete the circuit causing the lluggage area light to come on? If this works it should also let the luggage light function normally. Will try it out today to see.

Mission Completed !

Figured it out had to add one wire between the rear luggage light and I used the switch on the Drivers side rear door. Now when you open ANY of the front doors the front and rear lights both come on, (as long as both lights are set to the "DOOR" position, if you open just the rear hatch the luggage light and the front light comes on ( it was like that stock I didn't realize the front light came on too). If the rear luggage light is in the "OFF" position, opening the doors will not turn it on. And the "OFF" position still works as designed on both lights.

What I did to make it work:

Pulled rear luggage light out of headliner, removed rear trim piece that runs from left to right side rear of headliner, located the RED with WHITE striped wire, in the wire bundle that runs above the hatch area, connected a new wire using a tap crimp connector to the red/white wire, ran new wire to the Dr. side rear door, removed the inside panel and the switch, fished the new wire through the body so it was outside the truck next to the switch, cut a small section of the rubber insulation off the wire going to the Dr. rear door switch, stripped the wire slightly and attached the new wire, taped the connection and put the Dr. door switch back in, re-installed the trim near back door the luggage light and trim, DONE

there were 3 wires going to the rear luggage light, and in my 94 the colors were: red/green stripe - power, red/white stripe - ground from hatch switch (the switch for the hatch is actually near the latch itself inside the door), black - ground wire

Edited by ahardb0dy

Mission Completed !

Figured it out had to add one wire between the rear luggage light and I used the switch on the Drivers side rear door. Now when you open ANY of the front doors the front and rear lights both come on, (as long as both lights are set to the "DOOR" position, if you open just the rear hatch the luggage light and the front light comes on ( it was like that stock I didn't realize the front light came on too). If the rear luggage light is in the "OFF" position, opening the doors will not turn it on. And the "OFF" position still works as designed on both lights.

What I did to make it work:

Pulled rear luggage light out of headliner, removed rear trim piece that runs from left to right side rear of headliner, located the RED with WHITE striped wire, in the wire bundle that runs above the hatch area, connected a new wire using a tap crimp connector to the red/white wire, ran new wire to the Dr. side rear door, removed the inside panel and the switch, fished the new wire through the body so it was outside the truck next to the switch, cut a small section of the rubber insulation off the wire going to the Dr. rear door switch, stripped the wire slightly and attached the new wire, taped the connection and put the Dr. door switch back in, re-installed the trim near back door the luggage light and trim, DONE

there were 3 wires going to the rear luggage light, and in my 94 the colors were: red/green stripe - power, red/white stripe - ground from hatch switch (the switch for the hatch is actually near the latch itself inside the door), black - ground wire

Can you post some pictures please showing what you did? I am quite interested in this small project.

William

I made the map light come on with the dome light instead of the luggage light. Just a personal preference. You can just add a ground wire from the dome light to the luggage light if you want the luggage light to come on with the dome light.