Diagnostic Code 33

94 Pathy

Just an FYI for those out there that aren't too familiar with diagnosing problems. I've been getting a Code 33, whitch is the EGR Temp Sensor. I took 1 out & replaced with the one in my other parts Pathy. Ran fine for a few days, & then it was coding 33 again. Just ordered a new sensor. If this doesn't work & it codes again, a buddy of mine that is a mechanic & works on alot of Nissans, said it could be carbon build up in the EGR tube. The copper looking tube. I'll keep everyone posted on this topic & let you know if I have to do what he's done before to clean out the carbon. VERY RISKY, so don't just go out & try it if you don't know what you are doing..... :beer:

Can't you just unscrew the fittings on either end to remove the tube and then clean it out. I know they can be a PITA to get threaded back on correctly, but I don't understand the "VERY RISKY" part. What am I missing?

B

I've already replaced my O2 sensor when I redid my whole exhaust from the headers on back. We'll see what happens. My buddy was saying he had to run very little steaming hot water through the system/engine to break the carbon up & out. I'd think something a little better for the engine would be a better way, but he's had great success doing it. I figured using injector cleaners & what have ya would clean the carbon out? Just an FYI.

I've already replaced my O2 sensor when I redid my whole exhaust from the headers on back. We'll see what happens. My buddy was saying he had to run very little steaming hot water through the system/engine to break the carbon up & out. I'd think something a little better for the engine would be a better way, but he's had great success doing it. I figured using injector cleaners & what have ya would clean the carbon out? Just an FYI.

What code are you throwing? I'm very confused...lol...If the computer is giving you Code 33 Adamzan is right about the O2 sensor. Its not unheard of to have a relatively new one die or even get damaged when first being installed. It can't hurt to take a look at the O2 sensor. Why not try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins, take the truck for a short spin and then check your codes again...the computer doesn't lie.

Code has cleared & Pathy running alot better. That's what the problem was. Sorry, I've been sooo use to having the Code 33 for the last few years, that it must've been stuck in my head. Code 35 Exhaust gas temp sensor is what was wrong & I replaced. It screws in under the EGR & plugs into another plug that runs the back of the engine into something? Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, the F'ing check engine light came back on half-way to work this morning. The code is coming back. Back to the drawing board. I'll fill everyone in once I get it figured out. Perfect timing before the holidays. :angry:

Well, now I'm getting a 33 code. O2 sensor. Well, going to try & clean it off with carb cleaner to see if that works. I just put a new one on when I did my exhaust. Wondering if it's messed up now since the truck has been running like crap for awhile? We'll see if it helps.