Another starting issue!

SamTex

'95 auto, gremlins in the starting circuit. It's already got the relay mod. When I send 12v to the solenoid's signal wire, it will start. If I do this from the key, I get everything but a start.

What is preventing a start signal from my ignition? I've swapped out all the relays and tested all the fuses I can find. I'm about fed up and ready to make this baby push button start!!

What is preventing a start signal from my ignition?

Your Ignition. This is assuming the motor cranks but doesn't fire when trying to start with the ignition, and that it fires if you have the key in the ignition 'run' position and you supply voltage to the starter by another method. Is this correct?

B

If you hold the key to "start" and jump a wire to the relay going to the solenoid will it start normally?

When you go to start it by turning the key to "start" do you have power at the wire going to the relay? (relay mod I mean)

If you have power going to the relay for the "relay mod" than that indicates power is coming out of the ignition and thru the stock starter relay, if there is no power than either the ignition is bad or the stock starter relay may be bad.

No crank when the key is turned to the start position. It's hard to start when I manually send juice to the solenoid wire, I assume because my key isn't in the start position telling the ECU.

Also the power cable from the battery to the starter? Are the battery ground contacts good (chassis/motor)? If it can't complete the circuit, not much will happen either.

B

• 1 month later...

On the auto's, the starter relay is located fwd left fender just behind the air box. Is this correct?

I've got the same problem.

It only happens to me when it's cold - 20 degrees. Then it's fine the rest of the day. Or it's fine if it's been sitting in the sun for a few hours.

Not sure what to do on this one.

I want to find out what it is before I tackle another starter, the first time sucked.

Any help would be great!

You can try turning the key to the on position and using a wire jump from the wire that goes to the starter solenoid straight to the battery, I would do this when it doesn't want to start, if it starts fine this way it could be either the relay or the ignition switch.

You could also do the starter relay mod.

What has been said above. For auto, there is an inhibitor switch to prevent the vehicle from starting when it's in gears other than P or N. Either the switch is bad or the shifting linkage may need some adjustment.

There is a switch like that for manuals too but it has to do with the clutch function to prevent starting in gear.

Edited by Tungsten

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm planning on doing the relay mod.

It's hard to troubleshoot something when it's only broke on the first start of the morning when I'm trying to get to work. Once started, it works fine the rest of the day.

I guess I could try getting up at 3am, I just don't think I'll be able to get the wife out there to turn the key though. I'd probably get shot before I could get out of the house.

I'll find out if the mod helps.

I've tried the relay in front of the windshield washer. I'm not sure if that's the only one or not. I know nothing happens when that relay is out when you turn the key.

• 3 weeks later...

did you try pulling your ignition switch out and inspecting it? i found mine had a broken solder point on it, besides that, i was able to get a screw driver and turn the ignition switch with it and it fired right up every time