Have a friend moving to Mexico. What tires?

ferrariowner123

So a family friend is moving to mexico, and he has a 1993 Pathfinder Xe with 130K on the clock

He's going to be driving about 2-3k miles down to wherever in mexico.

He had read somewhere that D-rated tires are needed (harder side wall) or bring 3-4 spares.

He has opted for the D-rated. But i can not really find D-rated tires at discount tires. So im assuming its something that isn't a common item.

So i ask you, what tires should he get for the deserts and crap roads of Mexico.

Also, to you WD21 guys, what else should he do to get his pathfinder ready for the trip?

We already have an oil change, spark plugs and wires, dizzy cap, rotor, coolant flush, inspecting the t-case, trans, and diffs planned to get her ready.

Anything else worth mentioning?

Thanks guys, im downloading some manuals, and seeing what is suggested. Might do a timing belt while were at it.

-Kyle

Also, im trying to download a factory service manual to see about the timing belt, is there a different between a 93 and 94 that is worth mentioning, specifically in the timing area/ front of engine.

Would it be wise to go a cooler thermostat while were in there?

Thanks

-Kyle

MODS: Please move this to "General"

Edited by ferrariowner123

Cooper stt's tbh. The sidewall is tough as hell

And just a good check on fluids etc, Cambelt if its not had one. Test the shocks for bounce and leaks and if they are tired replace with something decent and heavy duty

The beauty of these vehicles is that as long as it is reasonably maintained it shouldn't need much attention to make a drive like that, especially with such low mileage. You hit the biggest items, all the fluids. Definitely check the tranny fluid if it is an automatic, make sure the brakes work well and have sufficient wear left, and make sure the wheel bearings aren't loose. I generally travel with emergency items like a gallon of distilled water, some oil and old belts and hoses.

The thermostat should be fine, especially in winter.

As for tires, where is he going, what exactly is he doing down there or on the way? Most any AT would serve him well and don't get too stuck on the load rating. Consider all the people who use their Pathfinder as a daily driver and wheel it on weekends/trips without changing tires or tire issues. Of course different tires will have stiffer or thicker sidewalls (the two are not always the same), so I suggest you look in the Unofficial Tire Review thread in the Product Review section for info.

3 or 4 spares is overkill, 2 full sized spares is plenty, but I recommend bringing a plug kit and source of inflation. Even out in the middle of no-where you'll see the sign Llanta which is your local tire guy. I've driven well over 3,000 miles on the highways, back roads and beaches of the Baja peninsula and only had one case of punctures (7 in one tire) and one blow out when I caught air and clipped a rock landing at 40mph.

As for the timing belt, no, it is almost exactly the same process from 1986.5-2000 other than some time in 93 they went from a square tooth belt to a round tooth belt. Square tooth has a 60,000 mile interval, the round has 105,000 mile.

Ok, time to move...

B

The beauty of these vehicles is that as long as it is reasonably maintained it shouldn't need much attention to make a drive like that, especially with such low mileage. You hit the biggest items, all the fluids. Definitely check the tranny fluid if it is an automatic, make sure the brakes work well and have sufficient wear left, and make sure the wheel bearings aren't loose. I generally travel with emergency items like a gallon of distilled water, some oil and old belts and hoses.

The thermostat should be fine, especially in winter.

As for tires, where is he going, what exactly is he doing down there or on the way? Most any AT would serve him well and don't get too stuck on the load rating. Consider all the people who use their Pathfinder as a daily driver and wheel it on weekends/trips without changing tires or tire issues. Of course different tires will have stiffer or thicker sidewalls (the two are not always the same), so I suggest you look in the Unofficial Tire Review thread in the Product Review section for info.

3 or 4 spares is overkill, 2 full sized spares is plenty, but I recommend bringing a plug kit and source of inflation. Even out in the middle of no-where you'll see the sign Llanta which is your local tire guy. I've driven well over 3,000 miles on the highways, back roads and beaches of the Baja peninsula and only had one case of punctures (7 in one tire) and one blow out when I caught air and clipped a rock landing at 40mph.

As for the timing belt, no, it is almost exactly the same process from 1986.5-2000 other than some time in 93 they went from a square tooth belt to a round tooth belt. Square tooth has a 60,000 mile interval, the round has 105,000 mile.

Ok, time to move...

B

I kinda figured as much on the tires, why you would need anything harder doesn't make sense.

And on the timing belt, how do i know which one he has? other than checking the belt, could I grab the VIN and have someone with FAST tell me which one?

Thanks for the reply and the move.

thanks

-Kyle

And on the timing belt, how do i know which one he has? other than checking the belt, could I grab the VIN and have someone with FAST tell me which one?

Thanks for the reply and the move.

thanks

-Kyle

Talk to this guy...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18653-genuine-nissan-parts/

You are welcome.

B