Spare tire carrier wobbling again?

sewebster

I replaced my 1991 spare tire carrier bushings/pins around 2 years ago (maybe less?) and now it's starting to make that wobbling sound when I go over bumps again. I tapped the needle holes for zerk fittings and have lubed it several times until I see grease coming out the top and bottom, wiggle it around etc.

I have a 31" tire (duratrac) on a lego rim on there. I drive on rough roads occasionally, but I haven't been doing anything too extreme.

Anyway, I guess what I'm wondering is... what am I missing here? I was just scanning some other threads, including one about how tough the spare carriers are, and I guess it just hasn't been my experience. Anything I can do to make it last longer? I've though about attaching something to the other side of the truck and installing another draw latch so that the carrier is supported on both sides, but seems a bit annoying... maybe the speed bumps around here are just too big :)

Did you have the spare balanced before you put it on the carrier.?

:ohno01: Maybe that's it!!!!!! :rolleyes:

It's not really very bad right now, only when I go over certain bumps. It's just worse than right after I fixed it. I did just lube up my latch mechanism, maybe that is related. I wonder if it is wobbling around somehow on the latch or the support plate closer to the hinge... hmm.

I've not seen a loose one, but I know there is a write up on changing them. I can't believe that it is from you swinging it back and forth, it must be that it isn't fully constrained when latched and the vibration is what is loosening things up. That is where I would start...

B

You might try pushing the little rubber cup by the latch farther out. IIRC it's held in by a couple bolts, which can theoretically be used to adjust the clearance. Assuming the latch is rattling rather than the bushings, maybe this would help.