New R50 Member in SE Texas

linewar

Hello all,

My Pathfinder has an interesting story. I originally got her in 2006, after several months of research and comparison against the Toyota 4-Runner. At the time I wanted reliability over anything, since I was buying an older car in order to lower my debt load, and my conclusion was that mid-90's 4-Runners and Pathfinders with 4 wheel drive and a stick shift were as close to bulletproof as anything out there. I bought this 1996 4x4 5-speed (I believe it is an SE, because of the black grille, power windows/ locks, and rear LSD) from a dealer in Houston, TX, who had taken it on trade from the original owner, an older gentleman who retired to Houston from Apple Valley, California. (Why anyone would do that, I have no idea.)

After 2 years of happy, relatively trouble-free ownership, my mother-in-law needed a vehicle. Wanting her to have something reliable, I bought a Jeep Liberty with a diesel engine, and gave her the Pathfinder in September 2008. 4 years later, she can no longer drive, so I picked up my old Pathfinder on Saturday.

As you can see, "Betsy" is in need of some TLC - to start, two front marker lights. She also has a oil leak, not too too bad - about a half teaspoon per week - but any leak is something to be investigated and corrected, if possible. Also a lot of the original tint has gone bad. But she still starts on the first turn, shifts like the clutch is a leg-press machine at the gym, and there is no visible damage to the CV's on the front driveshaft, transfer case or front half-shafts.

Pathfinder.jpg

I was an active member at LOST Jeeps when I had my Jeep, so I am familiar with forum rules and courtesy. I look forward to learning more and meeting everyone.

• Like 1

Howdy and welcome!

I agree with your assessment, that the mid 95s import, manual SUVs are remarkably reliable, as is testified to by the number still on the road. I do prefer Nissan though... :D

Congrats on getting Betsy back, although I hope the MIL is ok. That is a good base to build up if you have the budget/time/desire or just fix the details and enjoy it as is.

but any leak is something to be investigated and corrected, if possible. Also a lot of the original tint has gone bad. But she still starts on the first turn

First, as a motorcycle rider, I appreciate your attitude towards leaks and second, every Nissan I have owned in the last 20ish years (4 of them) has fired up immediately, even after sitting for weeks or months. They continue to impress me to this day...

B

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Just ordered some replacement front marker lights from Rock Auto using the discount code in the Vendor's Section - a benefit of joining already! Next step is a more detailed analysis of her mechanical state. I don't remember the clutch requiring so much effort; apart from a VERY slight chatter taking off in first, it shifts just fine though. Once I am satisfied with that, then I believe an OME lift may be next. A lot of members on the Jeep forum I belonged to had OME lifts on their Liberties and were very happy with them, though I chose to go with a Bilstein adjustable strut setup. I hate that you have to get aftermarket wheels to fit it though - simple as they are, I like those stock wheels. (Plus I just spent $850 on those tires - maybe black Cragar 15" D-Windows?)

Edited by linewar

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Just ordered some replacement front marker lights from Rock Auto using the discount code in the Vendor's Section - a benefit of joining already! Next step is a more detailed analysis of her mechanical state. I don't remember the clutch requiring so much effort; apart from a VERY slight chatter taking off in first, it shifts just fine though. Once I am satisfied with that, then I believe an OME lift may be next. A lot of members on the Jeep forum I belonged to had OME lifts on their Liberties and were very happy with them, though I chose to go with a Bilstein adjustable strut setup. I hate that you have to get aftermarket wheels to fit it though - simple as they are, I like those stock wheels. (Plus I just spent $850 on those tires - maybe black Cragar 15" D-Windows?)

Check out the "Finally thinking about getting a lift" Thread (its in the 96-04 R50 section), i went over a few different options for wheels and tires, they START at just over $50 a wheel.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Check out the "Finally thinking about getting a lift" Thread (its in the 96-04 R50 section), i went over a few different options for wheels and tires, they START at just over $50 a wheel.

-Kyle

Where is this thread I looked for it and can't find it, was it taken down or am I just over looking this? I tried the search button also with no luck.