Compresion Rod bushing.

deanslost

Most of my suspension bushes had been replaced when I brought my pathfinder......but. the compression rod bushes have not but they where in one piece.

I said where.

My left compression rod bush has collapsed. Now this is the rod that goes from the lower control arm to the chassis. I would logically call it a compression rod bush but in my manual it has no part number or description for it.

So What is it called and how do I find a reasonably priced replacement.

It would be great If there was a pinned list of parts with part numbers pictures and descriptions to look at that was divided into categories. i.e. suspension, engine e.t.c.

thanks for the help

Dean

I just put a set of blue poly Moogs in mine. If the truck's your DD I'd try and pick up a set of junkyard rods before tearing into it, just in case. Both of mine had worn through the sleeve into the rod, but neither had gone far enough to worry me. As yours is six years older, chances are they'll be in worse shape.

The kit came with four bushings and two steel sleeves for the rods. I also bought some L68111 bearing cups and had my uncle weld them on in place of the stock front bushing cups.

Here's the writeup. I added some pics of my installation to the end of it. I haven't had it aligned yet but it's not clunking when I go around corners anymore. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So I pulled my passanger side compression rod out to find the front cup on the chassis flogged out and the rear cup flogged out and broken off but thanks to the sleeve under the bushes the rod wasn't to bad.

My fix was to grab some big washers and file the hole in the washers out to the right size then weld the washers on to the back of the old cups. I then drilled some holes in the washers to allow for spot welding back onto the chassis.

My welding is very average so dad helped me weld the back cup back on to the chassis.

Due to lack of time, correct tools and technique I haven't been able to string enough hours together and I have only done the passenger side so far (and that took three weekends with an hour or so here and there)

Looking at the drivers side it doesnt look as bad. My question is even if it is not damaged do i need to weld washers onto the back of the drivers side cups to maintain the same geometry etc.

Talking to my dad he says that It shouldnt matter too much as I can adjust the nut on the back of the compression rod to suit. ?

for those that are in the know what do you think. ?

Thanks

Dean

The geometry should be determined by the space between the front cup and the washer on the strut rod, which (if you didn't mess with the front half) should be unchanged. So your dad's probably right that the nut would just sit a little farther out on the rod.

The other side will probably be just as flogged, though.