My old bumper (one like it anyway)

ahardb0dy

e-mailed the guy about selling just the bumper and I would replace it with a stock one, doubt he would go for it but never hurts to ask

Edited by ahardb0dy

The stock VG30E actually has almost the same power curve as the KA24E in the low end. If you rev it up though the VG30E just overtakes the KA24E by a mile. Maybe it has V8 fuel consumption but that would have to be a really efficient V8 or the V6 has to run really bad.

If you think a Pathfinder has no power, you never drove a 4runner from that time. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic...

It looks like a really good parts donor rig either way.

Maybe it has V8 fuel consumption but that would have to be a really efficient V8 or the V6 has to run really bad.

There are so many V8's to pick from, but lets use a common Chevy 350 for this example.

First, the EPA fuel economy of a 1989 Pathfinder....

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=6302

The auto was rated 13 city 15 highway for a combined rating of 14 MPG.

Now lets take a 1989 Chevy 4x4 with a 5.7 (the bigger of the V8 option, the 305 gets slightly better)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=6060

12 city 16 highway for a combined rating of 13 MPG.

These were before you drove it off the lot. Obviously not a bad running V6, and a Chevy 4x4 full size isnt exactly "efficient"

Power of a V8 with V6 economy? Pro used car salesman right there. More like power of a 4 Banger with V8 economy.

That is the way I describe my v6! the worst of both. According to Constantine's first link I'm right where I should be.

James

The main problem is that over time the small components on the V6 will just age and stop working properly. Small stuff like sensors and harness connectors and grounds and plug wires. The engine will get carboned up quite a bit too. If you can get the V6 back to its near original state and set the timing perfectly, you will see how much power it can make and how efficient it can be. Only the people that had this truck from brand new will know what I'm talking about. My truck is also rated at 13 city and 15 highway but I see well above that all the time. The worst I got so far was 16.8 mpg. It has about the same power as a stock 350 does in the 2 barrel configuration. The amount of power that comes out of this single overhead cam 3 liter motor is really impressive considering that it's not even that high compression.

I don't know how you drive to get the MPG you claim to be getting, my 87 hardbody that I bought brand new was rated slightly higher than the numbers you linked to:

jk9fna.jpg

and from day one I never saw anything close to those numbers, and that as I said was brand new no carbon, sensors all working perfectly. The non OD automatics with the 31" tires and 4.62 gears stock even new wasn't getting close to what the sticker said. You could baby the hell out of that truck and still not get those numbers.

Tungsten, what tires/pressures are you running? I got 21mpg once while running my 31s at 50lbs, until I realized that this was a horrible idea. Now I'm getting 16-17, and kind of suspect that the 21mpg was from my dad borrowing my truck and adding a little gas without telling me.

My dad says that people he knows who've put smaller tires on for better mileage. I kinda suspect that they forgot to change the speed sensor, but still, it's less mass to throw around, maybe there's a real effect there.

And it's a good thing we're in the off-topic already :jacked:

I run highway tires, Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S and they are 31s. I run them at 31 PSI (cold).

I try to keep my engine in top shape and only use synthetic oil. You can also check out my list of mods in my profile.

To ahardb0dy: You need the overdrive transmission to get decent gas mileage on the highway. Locking torquing converters is what made the automatic transmission so much more efficient.

The VG30 is a small displacement Japanese motor with no room for imperfections. Anything on it that's less than perfect is going to make it perform poorly. American V8s have huge displacements so they will allow for some imperfections and you probably won't even notice but on this Japanese V6 any imperfections will show up instantly and you will have a gutless motor. It must be absolutely perfect to actually have any power and efficiency. The reason people complain about power is that over time stuff that supports its efficiency starts to break down. Even with that it still runs just fine but becomes really gutless and thirsty. Now it still doesn't make a lot of power in naturally aspirated form because it was designed for a turbo in mind but still manages to have as much horsepower as most of the N/A V8s that came in its time period and the torque isn't too far behind either.

I have a mild all terrain tread, 31's running at 32 PSI, I have OD, I run Mobil one Synthetic oil, my engine runs perfect and even if I keep the rpm's below 3K I still get about 17 MPG

17 is not too bad. Where do you keep your base timing? Do you have a special EGR-BPT valve?

Also I noticed that I get much higher MPG in the summer than in winter time because there is no winter gas and the warm up times are shorter.

Edited by Tungsten

I replaced the plugs 15K miles ago, wires are same ones that were on the engine when I bought it used, never replaced cap and rotor since I had the JDM engine put in and I need to check the air filter as I replaced it on 09-06-11. Guess it's time to check/replace some of these things. Didn't realize it's been so long.