Absolutley RIDICULOUS

kefferjoe

So I went on an off road adventure last weekend and when I was done, I had the worst steering issues. Turns out the rack and pinion mount bushing isn't just bad but it isnt there. It's just completely gone. Ho this happens I don't know. So I ordered the bushing from nissan 14$ a piece i will replace both of them. My question is how hard is it? Do I just unmount those bolts and slip the bushings on or is it harder. I'm away from home at school so my time is minimal and my tools are not abundant. So if it is too hard or too time consuming ill let the dealers do it.

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty straightforward to replace the bushing. You just need to loosen the brackets holding the rack to the subframe, slip the bushing around the rack, then replace the bracket.

I assume the bushing that was missing is the driver-side bushing. It probably rotted from oil spilled onto it during oil filter changes and eventually fell out. If you change your own oil, you can avoid this (spilling oil onto the rack and subframe and rotting the rack bushing) by placing a ziplock sandwich baggie around the filter after you've loosened it enough to remove by hand. Oil will drip into the baggie instead of onto the rack. It takes a little longer to unscrew the filter, because the baggie will be slippery, but IMHO, it's worth it to keep everything clean.

Alternatively, you can place aluminum foil, rags, or other coverings beneath the filter to catch the oil drippings and keep oil from rotting any rubber parts below the filter.

Edited by XPLORx4