4wd vs FWD and fuel economy

mingo

Even if you take a more than minimum built FWD car it will still never be as good as an RWD car because of physics. Maybe FWD has an advantage of interior room, fuel efficiency, cost of manufacture, and smaller size but it will never handle as good or accelerate as nice or be able to use as much power as a RWD car can. Precise1, I know all about luxury FWD cars and RWD luxury cars still top them when it comes to road manners. Nothing will beat FWD for space efficiency though.

Anyway, to the OP, if you want to exchange your Pathfinder for something smaller I'm not here to stop you from doing that but you will never know what you had until you lose it. Pathfinders may be more expensive to own and drive than the stereotypical FWD vehicle but they are so worth it in my opinion. There is nothing like a large luxury RWD vehicle for a comfortable and fun driving experience even if it is powered by a rice burning V6 (which is very efficient).

Just about everything. FWD rice burners are for limp wristed people that don't know anything about cars. Take for one, the weight distribution. RWD platforms have a proper weight distribution because of how the engine and transmission is placed. FWD will understeer because all the drive train and powerplant is directly at the front rotated sideways. They will also torque steer because most of the time the drive shafts are uneven. The other thing you will notice is inferior part quality. Since FWD cars are just basic means of transportation, all the parts are value engineered. The majority of parts on a Pathfinder are overbuilt so they last a long time.

FYI: Pathfinders have almost an even 50/50 weight distribution, which makes them ideal for handling on hilly roads.

I'd take offense, but I notice you are from N.J. :)

Why can't the weight-foward distribution with FWD be considered an advantage in many conditions just as RWD can be considered a disadvantage in some conditions? Of course they drive and handle differently. You have to adapt your driving technique.

Also, seems to me the late 70's early 80's datsuns/nissans are pretty damn durable and reliable and most parts are cheap to replace. Still alot of them driving around stock.

It's true that FWD cars are more forgiving under low traction at slow speeds because the front wheels drive and turn but that's pretty much where the advantage ends. If you want to get more out of a FWD platform, you really want the rear wheels powered too, which is going to be AWD. The nose heaviness of FWD will still make you tend to understeer and the uneven CV shafts of most FWD platform vehicles will make you torque steer on acceleration. The AWD alleviates those side effects a little bit but it still does not change the weight distribution. The nose heaviness is never a good thing but if you only drive 40-70 mph on the highway, you will never notice. A well designed RWD platform or even a straight up Nissan GT-R type AWD platform should have an exact 50-50 weight distribution by placing most of the weight into the middle of the vehicle or counterbalancing the weight on the front somehow.

Hmm...FWD vs RWD in poor traction conditions...give me FWD anyday. The weight is where the drive wheels and therefore better chance of having traction and less likely to have your back end coming around to your front end.

BTW...a pathfinder....(at least up to 2000) are a far cry from a large luxury vehicle.

It's true that FWD cars are more forgiving under low traction at slow speeds because the front wheels drive and turn but that's pretty much where the advantage ends. If you want to get more out of a FWD platform, you really want the rear wheels powered too, which is going to be AWD. The nose heaviness of FWD will still make you tend to understeer and the uneven CV shafts of most FWD platform vehicles will make you torque steer on acceleration. The AWD alleviates those side effects a little bit but it still does not change the weight distribution. The nose heaviness is never a good thing but if you only drive 40-70 mph on the highway, you will never notice. A well designed RWD platform or even a straight up Nissan GT-R type AWD platform should have an exact 50-50 weight distribution by placing most of the weight into the middle of the vehicle or counterbalancing the weight on the front somehow.

Oh you mean like this? 112_0402_World_Debut_2005_Chevrolet_Corvette_005z+2005_Chevrolet_Corvette+Drivetrain_Sketch.jpg

Pathfinder = Large? I want too know what your on C, cause I'd sure love some.

Hell my 86 c-vic went great in snow, far better then most fwds and the vic was larger then a pathfinder. I even drove it on glare ice a few times and besides a little spinning at a full stop (I mean very little) it would handle fine. I watched people in 4 wheel drive go in the ditch when the whale just kept on a rumbling. But the vic did have another advantage over fwd cars, it was big, grey, dented, ugly and loud. Hell kids ran from it. And it got 21 mpg (winter was 16-17)

It maybe close too 50-50 on the 21 but the rears do get light when in snow, even in 4wd.

I don't know where my reply just went but anyway...

Pathfinders are large cars or compact trucks. That's how I see it. Pathfinders also came with plenty of luxury features at the time. They were far from being cheap and basic.

:

Crown Vics are great cars as long as it is a CVPI model.

The CVPI are crap... well at least the panter chassie is, the 79-91 is were its at for a road lumbering whale that will survive being driven through cinder block walls. They even came in a 2 door version.

Maruader's are cool though. But dreadfully slow...

800px-Ford_LTD_Crown_Victoria_sedan_1.jpg

You mean this?

I agree, these are the best crown vics ever made.

The reason why CVPI is the way to go is they have all the heavy duty goodies on them like bigger engines, better brakes, taller gearing, auxiliary coolers, etc.

800px-%2787_Ford_LTD_Crown_Victoria_Coupe.JPG

The coupes do look pretty hot though.

Another car I like is a Volvo 240DL. Good platform and well balanced. Plus it goes like a tank. The 86-93 seems to be the best one.

800px-Volvo_240_sedan_2.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

The 240DL is RWD and doesn't get any worse fuel economy than a FWD plus you get better handling and all around toughness with simplicity. ;)

Just throwing it out there. I'm actually seriously considering one myself for daily use if gas gets too expensive in the future. I think they also came in diesels.

Ha!I had an 1984 240 DL, peacock blue, that was a bad ass, comfortable, but obscenely slow ride. Loved that car. <br /><br />No setup is perfect, I would take my wife's wrx with blizzaks skiing any day over the pathy. But it will pass anything in the road but a gas station. <br /> If u were looking for a cheap vehicle, that got respectable gas mileage, capability, and easy to work on- Suby GL-wagon. Even had a transfer case. Here in Wa they still comand a premium though!

Edited by AndyC

A guy at work has one of those Crown Vic's, I've been working there going on 14 years and he has had it since I started, I feel sorry for him with the gas prices (351) but it still gets him to work and back.

Edited by ahardb0dy

feel better now, been looking at cars for sale, mostly 70 chevelles, can't afford any of them but like to look. Right now my wife is going thru her old pics to pull out pics of her old cars, she had 2- 67 camaro's, a 67-68 Mustang fastback (not sure of year), and many others

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I made my decision. I just purchased a 1985 Nissan Sentra 2 door hatchback SE (B11) for $600. 1.6L engine 5 speed tranny. The Pathfinder is officially for sale, I will post it in the classifieds forum. On craigslist too!

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3404783948.html

Thanks for the input all!