Are genuine Nissan VG30E timing belts too old?

sewebster

They are fine because they are not exposed to the extreme temperature differences you would normally see in an engine bay. Then there is the fact that they are not stressed by the cogs sitting in a box. If you want a newer belt, go with a Gates one. I run a Gates timing belt at the moment and it has been doing extremely well so far. Also, timing belts are actually made of much stronger materials than regular v-belts are.

I run a Gates timing belt at the moment and it has been doing extremely well so far.

*snort*

Extremely well as opposed to... adequate? How does one tell?

Or do they keep making new ones? I mean, have they been sitting on a shelf since the early 90s?

I am certain they have a continued production supply system. Timing belts are undeniably tough, but rubber breaks down in our atmosphere so it would not be a good idea have huge inventories regardless of the company expense side of it.

B

*snort*

Extremely well as opposed to... adequate? How does one tell?

It doesn't break or stretch or just prematurely wear out in general. I just wanted to try something different but an OEM Nissan belt is made with exactly the same quality so you can't go wrong with either.

They are fine because they are not exposed to the extreme temperature differences you would normally see in an engine bay.

I disagree. They may not get wet from puddles or water crossing, but that mm thick plastic timing cover isn't exactly keeping heat out.

Fine in a warehouse yes, but he said underhood?

I think there were enough VG motors running around it'd be hard to find a 15 year old belt. I'm sure its possible though.

I agree on Gates belts. If its not OEM I'd only do a Gates. Napa house brand are Gates and cheaper than Gates at the Oreillys where I live.

When I bought mine the first thing I did was check the timing belt (PO said he changed it, I don't trust anyone on used cars haha) and 2 hours after I last drove it the timing belt was still hot to the touch. But it was new, although a random brand but I just buttoned it back up.

You should never trust PO on a used vehicle unless you know something was done. I always advise to replace everything when getting a used vehicle cause you don't know when it was replaced before.

Was funny when we first bought the Infiniti Q45t we used to have, my wife actually bought it on E-bay, it was local to us, we paid about $4k for it, I was on the NICO forum asking some questions and one of the members there tells me "well if you put about $1400 into it the car will run like new" OK !!! ?? I just spent $4K like I have another $1400 laying around?????....

Handling them constantly I can tell you for a fact that these type parts, timing belts in particular, are not very old at all. They are still in production. They even go on back order from time to time while they make a new batch.

Any hose, belt, timing belt, etc rubber part that we get in from our regonal Nissan PDC (Parts Distribution Center) is usually about 3 months old at most, sometimes only a month old. If you look on the grey/white Nissan parts tags with the scan bars it usually has the production date stamped on it.

I will see about taking some pics tomorrow and posting them to show.

• Like 1

Underhood? No, I meant they are fine in a warehouse as opposed to staying under the hood because they see extreme temperature changes under the hood unlike in a climate controlled warehouse. I would trust 15 year old timing belts that are still in the box. They should not cause any issues as far as I see it.

There Alkorahil just said it, they are still being made. :lol:

Edited by Tungsten

It was the way you worded it. I thought you meant it was installed. My mistake.

I wouldnt want a 15 year old timing belt. Fan, although, a/c sure. Not timing. Rubber is too sketchy and I don't want to trust it and end up breaking one.

Timing belts generally have a longer shelf life than regular belts because they have some really good materials and are cross stitched for extra durability but with what Alkorahil is saying, the odds of you even buying a 5 year old timing belt are very little let alone a 15 year old one. On that note I have seen really old VG engines with timing belts in them that looked new and probably were never changed out. :shrug:

With that being said, changing them for good measure is not hard on a VG and yes newer belts are always better than older ones.

Edited by Tungsten

Just that this question was asked many times on many car forums and the general consensus is that it's not an issue to have them sit in a box for a few years.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=140045

http://daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10454

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=1&f=66&t=1089071&nmt=

http://boardreader.com/thread/Dayco_Timing_Belt_Age_Is_It_an_Issue_s6cX6lvq.html

As a follow up, I tried to take a picture today, but it didnt come out very well. The flourescent lighining and the dark labyrinth of the parts aisles made the picture to dark.

I looked at the timing belts we had on the shelf. Their production date was 11 Feb 12. Made in Japan.

something else to consider is the current part number is a supercession part number from the original one from the 90's.....so the original 90's part number doesnt even exist anymore.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1

I think there is some regulation where maintenance parts must be made for a minimum of 10 or something years after the car goes out of production. The WD21 went out of production only a few years ago and there are plenty of Nissans that use VGs that are still fairly new.

Basically correct Tungsten.

Excellent question Sewebster!

Federal regulations have it that factory parts OR an alternative have to be available for 10 years. (note: this doesnt cover accessories)

BUT sometimes you may have once been able to get say.....just a mirror glass by itself. They may consolidate parts and make it if you want the glass you have to get the whole mirror. Techncally they are still providing the part.... Also, this way they only have to stock one part number instead of several.

There also may be what are called service files. Ran into one today. The guy had a 1998 frontier. He wanted just the tailgate lock on the side of the tailgate. Its an $8.50 part. But to get that part now you have to replace the whole entire lock mechinism with one from a 01-04 Frontier and you have to get the bolts, both cables, both side locks. SO it would cost $58. Again, they are technically porviding something. This is usually caused because the original supplier went out of business and they came up witha solution that will work, or the original was failing to much and they redesigned it in 2001 and retroactively make you fix the problem.

Now as to older vehicles and parts availability. They way I like to put it is: "Nissan will keep them running and drivable, but not looking pretty." Nissan is fairly good about keeping engine, brake and transmission parts in stock for years. Interior and body parts get sketchy after 10 years and tend to rely on 'whats left over'.

The general variables to being still available are:

1) how many they still have on the self in the nissan warehouses

2) demand (note:aftermarket effects this)

3) how many of the vehicles were sold

4) if the part supplier is still in business

5) cost vs profit margin to import part to the US if supplier is overseas

6) and what like to call 'Mr Nissan just felt like it'

As pointed out the VG30 was used on a lot of Nissans for a long time. So there is lots of demand still. Many vehicles also share the same parts. The 300zx, Pathfiner WD21, Hardbody D21 and D21U, Frontier D22U and Xterra WD22 all have some common parts on them so thats a long stretch there.

Same sort of story for the KA24, VG33 and VQ35. Used a long time on several models.

Also, some of the parts simply havent changed since the 1960's. A bolt is a bolt and screw is a scew. Cant redesign that to much. So a scew or clip used on a Datsun in the 1960s is still being used in 2012

Remember, the manufacturers make more $/profit margin on parts than they actually do on the vehicle itself. The general business model over the years has moved to one of selling you a car for a small(er) profit so we can sell you parts and labor. So they want to sell you (or insurance companies) parts and they want to keep them around.

I hope that answers the question and makes sense.

My post got lost I guess. I was wondering how they choose which parts to keep making. Lots of parts I've tried to get are apparently unavailable.

If you havent before, shoot me a PM with what you are looking for. I can check and see if any of the warehouses or any dealer has them