Confused about the 1990-1995 Pathfinder wheel base

brc19761

O.K. for about two months now I owned my 1994 Pathfinder LE. I also have a 1997 Regular Cab Nissan Hardbody 4x4 (had it for 15 years.) I have noticed that when you park the Pathfinder and the Regular cab Hardbody side by side they are exatly the same size bumper to bumper. I know the Pathfinder came from the Hardbody. But I figured that the 1987-1989 having only two doors would be the same size as a regular cab Harbody. But from 1990-1995 since they were made only in four door versions they would be based on the extended cab frame of the Hardbody to accomodate for the two back doors.

Can anyone explain? Just confused.

brc

Both "generation" wd21s are on the same frame/wheelbase. There's differences between d21s and wd21s though... I forget but I think it's a matter of like an inch or 2 (something minute like that), I'll have to check my FSM when I'm home for measurement specs

The 2 and 4 door pathfinders are the same length they just made it into a 4 door here are the specs:

Per the 1994 FSM:

WD21 pathfinder:

wheelbase - 104.3 inches

overall length - 171.9 (on models with spare tire carrier overall length is increased by 9.1 for P215/75/15 tire, 10.2 for P235/75/15 tire and 10.8 for 31/10.50/15 tire

so with the 31" tire on the outside spare tire carrier the overall length would be 182.7

D21 Pickup (hardbody):

wheelbase - 104.3 regular cab standard wheelbase

116.1 king cab long wheelbase

overall length - 174.6 - regular cab standard wheelbase

190.0 king cab long wheelbase

on step bumper equipped models the bumper adds 5.5 inch to the overall length

so a regular cab short bed with a step bumper the overall length would be 180.1

per a 1989 FSM 2 door pathfinder specs are the same

specs can be seen here as well from original PF ad:

a9xzc5.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that both generations of the Pathfinders had the same frame length. I guess I have never seen a 1987-1989 and a 1990-1995 side by side.

You all did aswer my confusion. THANKS.

brc

Yes, that is exactly it. Other than sports cars and huge trucks, vehicles simply didn't have the same amount of power back then as they do now. It's only been the last 10-15 years that the average sedan has to have 300+hp to get to the store... ;)

B