Buying a WD21 with tranny problems...

NissanNismoZ

Weird. I was at a Pick n Pull and saw one next to the ECU when I was checking out the seats....or maybe someone was hiding a ECU....strange out of all the similarities they would put it elsewhere...learn something new!

Yeah because when I test drove it it went right into reverse.. But the battery was removed for a while.

Now it feels like a wheel is about to fall off! Its definitely a front wheel as I can really feel it at speeds around 30mph. At 55mph its still there but not as bad, and it's really noticeable and shakes bad turning slight right.. :/

Good news is it looks like I'm getting 23mpg out of it with A/C on!

Today I'm going to jack it up and check for play in the wheels.. I did find the driver front appears to have a bald spot.. But that wouldn't make sense to why it's more noticeable at a slight right..

Actually believe it or not my speedo goes up to 11mph at key on and is off that exact amount but my odometer is right on the dot! (its 4.7 miles from my house to the gas station and its 10.6 miles to work from my house according to red Pathy and they both match up right on the doti can't wait to see my MPG on it, because it's looking a lot better than the red one.

Edited by NissanNismoZ

So I lifted it up today and found out my driver wheel has a lot of play when checking for wiggle in '9 to 3' and it looks like the tie rod end closest to the wheel has had it.. As far as play, and passenger wheen has some as well but not as bad. Would that cause it to shake that's badly though? I couldn't find and play in it with any other type of wiggling or wheel bearings wise..

I can see that making it wander but I suspect the shaking is more about the flat spot... sounds like when you turn it puts more weight on that tire and makes it wobble.

Why not just swap rims/tires with the red one, if you're not driving it much anyway? (Or just put the tire with the flat spot in the back?) That way you could rule the tire in or out.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Alright taking it into the shop and let them fix-replace the tie rod..and also,quick question, what trannys are a direct fit with the 94 and 95? I did go ahead and swap the front to the back, thanks :) it does wobble pretty bad now, so the old slow and reliable red one has been getting me around.

also,quick question, what trannys are a direct fit with the 94 and 95?

A 5 speed. ;)

If I was replacing a auto with another used auto, I would only put in the HD version. I think its in the 01 and up Xterras and Pathfinders...but do a search. If you buy another used auto, and you don't know the history of it, you might be right back in the same situation you currently are.

I wish,but that would be more money than I'm able to get..the only ones I can find are WD21's..and one r50. (If it still has its tranny)

But you have a point, I really don't want to end up in this situation again so it is best to do it right this time.. Its just sourcing a xterra as most are still running around with no.problems.

Okay, had the shop look at it.. On the passenger side the bal joint, idler arm and tie rod end need replaced. On the driver side it needs a tie rod end..so looks like i need more done to it than i thought..eh well, who said things would be easy? I guess thats why it seems like the wheel was about to fall off..coz its probably just about to. So it looks like red pathy, and its slowness will be getting me around for a few until i can get those replaced..

So this morning.. I went out to it.. Its battery was dead (always dead in two days of no use, I guess because the key is left on) and I jumped it off and thought to myself.. Let's try reverse! It goes right in with no problems. And I drove it around some and got it to where it would slip and barely go into reverse and I disco the battery.. Wait 30 mins.. Reconnect the computer and tada! Reverse is suddenly back again. Is there actually hope??! How would the TCU make it 'slip into reverse' after the computer has learned it.. But on fresh resets it goes into reverse fine. What?!

Wow. So my neighbor decided to get me a set of tires for my birthday.. And WOW. No more violent vibrations! The only thing it does now is pull slight left but that's it. So now that problem is gone. My key now turns to off. Now I just have to get that reverse figured out!

Swapped resistors with the red pathy; no change. So it looks like I'll be swapping TCU's when I get a day to pull the trim and swap them. If no change it'll be a fluid + filter change, and if not.. It looks like I'll really need to be sourcing a HD tranny.. Thanks guys. It's just weird because it's like on cold starts it'll go right in.. Sometimes it'll go in slowly or not go in at all. But it's never left me stranded as far as refusing completely. It's definitely a pressure issue, so it seems, as I seem to have the most luck when going straight from Drive to Reverse quickly. Not sure.. Thanks! Any more tips please throw them my way!! I'd appreciate it.. Also, if I happen to find an X or Pathy tranny.. What years are compatible? Also is it a direct drop in with the sensors? Anything that has to be modified? Thanks..

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Oh yeah. Definitely!

Today, a fellow advanced worker having heard of my tranny problems tells me how he was literally given his Pathy because they thought the tranny was gone.. He took it to a tranny shop and they checked his fluid.. It was 2 qts too full, so he drained it and tada! His tranny stopped slipping and worked fine.. So he told me to check it key off engine warmed up to temp.. And WOW! It's way over full! Like.. Two inches over the full mark!

You're doing it wrong. This is the proper way to check the automatic transmission fluid level, as described in the FSM:

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.

2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.

3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.

4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.

R50ATdipstick.png

Your dipstick will look slightly different, the pictured one is an R50 dipstick. Just make sure it's in the crosshatched area of the hot side of the dipstick after following the instructions.

Edited by Towncivilian

Alright, so I did it the way you mentioned by the FSM and it came out maybe an inch lower than with key off? It's still way over full though, but thanks for showing me the right way! I bought the filter and fluid to change it all out. FSM calls for DEXRON II but apparently they got rid of that and the guy at advanced said DEXRON III is good. So I suppose tomorrow ill be changing it all out. Thank you!

All Dexron fluids older than Dexron VI are now unlicensed, so technically you don't know what you're getting in that bottle labeled Dexron III since the fluid is not tested as part of licensing. However, this shouldn't be an issue, and Dexron III is fine to use.

Good luck! Be sure to follow the torque specs - they're listed in this article at NICO. The article is for an R50 but the torque spec is identical for a WD21. Apply petroleum jelly to the transmission filter O-ring before installing it.

Alright so I was told that the filter I bought was for a 2WD. As he said they have a screen and not a filter in the 4WD? So I changed the fluid today, took 3qts to get it right in the dead center of the cross hatches of HOT. After driving it around with the new fluid. So I'm guessing it's official now, the tranny does have to be replaced as new fluid didn't help it. Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out.. I just know cold starts it usually always goes into reverse, kicking in and out, but still goes. I should have a new tranny and have it put in by next week..

That is a PITA! I hope you've got a couple of strong friends, or a deep wallet if you're paying to have it swapped. I got quotes to have my RMS replaced, and it was like a grand just for the labor. I ended up having a member here and his mechanic do it for me while I watched/assisted. Honestly I didn't think the job was too bad but this was on a hoist, with a trans jack, and every tool you could ever need.

Btw, when you have the trans out, change the rear main seal. But use a nissan one only and make sure to follow the instructions for installing it.

• Like 1

the forum ate my post. 2WD and 4WD both have in pan strainers but based on photos they look slightly different. moot point now though.

Get an auto HD trans, or 5 speed 96 or newer to get the correct fill hole location for your swap.

Its sort of a trade for the red pathy, only. I still get to keep it, it's complicated but, this tranny has 120k on it for 150$ and the guy wants 450$ to install it. I really wish I could find a pathfinder with an HD tranny. :/ there is a Pathy there at the jy, it's a 96..that's an HD? If it's still there ill get it, especially if it's a direct swap in. Thanks everyone!