Cheap Truck Challenge

Tungsten

The days when trucks were actually trucks... Watch this Bronco just dominate on the sand dunes. I was impressed by how well those full size trucks actually handled the bumps without breaking in half.

• Like 1

That depends on the year, newer trucks tend to be IFS. All those trucks were solid axle front and rear and had decent clearance. IFS full size trucks just don't do as well. Not enough flex or clearance. IFS seems to work better for compact trucks than it does for full size. Baja IFS is a different story...

That's the link you are thinking of.

It's good to see a late 70s Bronco in action. Most of them are now piles of rust.

Edited by Tungsten

I've been saying it for years, theres money to be made in brining vintage iron back from the sunbelt too the rustbelt.

IFS is fine if your not looking too stuff it in big deep rocks and @!*%. If your looking just too trail ride or Mud your fine with IFS. Acutally IFS is great in mud.

Maybe out there in Rustville, NJ. Tons of them running around in Cali.

Yeah I mean most of the ones that were made. Sure there are minty ones remaining in the sun belt but that's pretty much what's left of them. I agree, a rust free Bronco would fetch big bucks in a rustbelt state like this one.

From what I seen, the IFS trucks of all sizes get stuck in mud more often than solid axle rigs.

Piss poor driving IMO. IFS offers better ground clearance from the get go. If your running in 4 feet deep ponds then yes solids are the way to go, if its requires 36" or less tires IFS is fine. But its main draw back is no front lockers (GM offers none). Now if its a off chamber section of trail the IFS has a better chance of slipping down hill (no idea why)

I was stuck once when my pathfinder was IFS. It was my first summer in it. It had bald Bridgestone Duelers on the back and steeltex street tires on the front. I got stuck in no joke 1 inch of mud. I didnt sink, I simply stopped moving and had no traction. After that I was never, ever stuck. I mean I would stand on it in 8-10s of mud in corn fields and it would slowly inch ahead.

• 8 months later...

There are a few very nice looking Broncos, K10 Blazers and Scouts running around town where I am. I usually see them on Saturday mornings. It is always nice to see them all polished and shined.

I wasn't aware some scouts had Nissan diesel engines.

At the local wrecking yard there was a Scout with a 2wd pathfinder chassis, vg30, and automatic transmission a couple weeks back.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

New one.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/news/131_1305_2013_cheap_truck_challenge/" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">