Air filters made in Mexico.... the same factory?

westslope

I have been running NAPA Gold air filters in the pathie for a few years. But recenty, I could not be bothered driving all the way to NAPA store in Langley so I bought a FRAM Toughguard "premium air filter" at Canadian Tire. The toughguard has a coasted media and holds twice as much dirt as a less expensive FRAM air filter.

(Note, this is NOT a FRAM oil filter.)

I could not help noticing the similarities in design and construction with the NAPA Gold air filter. The Gold air filter is not coated but everything else looks almost identical.

Are all these paper air filters manufactured in the same plant in Mexico? Just curious.

After looking online, it appears that there are a ton of manufacturers of vehicle air filters... Mostly in China.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a "re-label" situation as it is with Kraft mac n cheese or the store brand...

Just leave off the special "coating" and sell it a little bit less...

I bought a Wix branded filter for my Pathy from Amazon and if I recall correctly it was made in Mexico.

A Purolator PureONE air filter my buddy bought last night for his Ranger was made in the USA.

A Fram air filter I bought for my girlfriend's 09 Pontiac G5 was made in China I think.

All looked satisfactory in quality. Fram's air filters seem to be well constructed for the price and I would not be hesitant to use one in a pinch.

Edited by Towncivilian

Every Fram air filter I've ever bought has been made in Canada. Most of there oil filters too now that I think of it.

But I only buy K&N air filters now, I mean they never wear out and they have a 1,000,000 mile warenty agaisnt wear and defects.

You have to watch it when using oil on cotton gauze filters like K&N. There is a way to properly clean them and then there are ways of not properly cleaning them. Then when re-oiling them, you don't want to use too much oil or that gets sucked into the MAF sensor and ruins it.

HKS makes a nice triple layer filter that you never have to oil and you can clean it by soaking it in some water.

Wix paper filters work just fine. Any paper filter will work great really unless it's a really crappy FRAM one. The only drawback to paper filters is that any water drops on them will plug the media but that's not a problem on these trucks as far as I know.

It doesn't matter where they are made as long as they don't look like crap physically.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with too much oil on the K&N's as long as you let it dry and soak in after oiling, that's the nice part about them, after cleaning they are white and the oil is red so you know when you have them re-oiled right.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with too much oil on the K&N's as long as you let it dry and soak in after oiling, that's the nice part about them, after cleaning they are white and the oil is red so you know when you have them re-oiled right.

Agreed. I oil until its a slightly pink and then let it dry. Never had a issue yet.

I agree with the last post by ahardb0dy. Almost all of my vehicles, including the wife's Altima have had a K&N filter... With that said if you follow directions, and let it sit the recommended time as mentioned you won't have to worry about the MAF getting jacked up. Besides, generally when I am servicing the car I dod the air filter first and let it sit throughout the entire rest of the process... and sometimes even longer depending on what else I have to do... So its ample dry...

Sigh... I like the extra throttle response anyway... no more paper filters for me...

I hose and soap if off, let it dry, spray what I think is right amount of oil on (until it looks like new) and then reinstall. I've never, ever had a problem with it. Now I only spray the outer edge and not both. But I highly dought oil on the mass is bad for it. Considering that this tale has been going on for years and theres no facts to back it up other then people complaining because there in that 90 percent that would die with out warning hazards placed every item.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't write it. K&N has been in business for so long and their filters are used on everything from daily drivers to full off road race trucks and top fuel dragsters, I doubt their filters cause problems, granted a race engine probably doesn't use a MAF sensor but they must filter good and not restrict airflow if a race engine uses them. Sponsor money probably doesn't hurt either ! LOL

The whole K&N or paper debate really comes out to if you just want to service the filter or if you prefer doing the dealership method of taking it out and putting in a new one. Also, K&N filters do not filter as much as paper does, which is why they are high flow. The crap that they don't catch will not have a significant impact on engine wear though.

Edited by Tungsten

Nope, what they dont filter is too small to harm the motor, plus that is why you have that thing called a oil filter. Now if it is something like one of those F1 motors that dont use piston rings and run at 22,000rpm it might be diffrent. But I believe most of those run a similer filter.

Thinking of it, I dont believe those big nitro methane snorting 4 second drag cars even run a air filter. But they are literally rebuilt after ever race. Well tore down and inspected at least.

I have heard mixed reviews of the "high flow" filters but have had nothing but good results.

Good points accross the board, I agree with Tungsten's view to an extent but I also agree with Nismo's view on the microscopic particles being caught by the oil filter... That is what they are for after all...

I use a high flow filter too but an HKS one and not K&N. I know it doesn't trap as much as paper would but like I said earlier and nismothunder did too, the stuff not caught will have no effect. In fact K&N warranties their filter for a million miles. You just have to go through the process of cleaning and re-oiling instead of tossing the old and putting in the new.