I've got a traitor in the driveway!

JamesRich

At least it’s my favorite color! I just bought my 16 year old a 99 Honda accord coupe.

3e0fe58e.jpg

This pic was at my parents house, I'll have to clean all of them up and take a picture of my fleet vehicle driveway.

So now I have three Nissans, one Suzuki, and one Honda in the driveway. All of them are white except my pathfinder.

This accord has a 3.0L single over head cam V6. My first question after driving it was where did Nissan go wrong! This little car hauls butt! Why didn’t Nissan push 200 hp out of the VG30 or at least the VG33?

I even got flashed by a red light camera while test driving it. I was having so much fun running the hell out of it I forgot about the camera at that light. Maybe the car dealer will send me the picture so I can see the big grin on my face when I passed the light.

James

Dude, make sure there's some kind of alarm/security system on that thing. They get stolen a lot, and it's fairly easy to do. Otherwise, congrats for her.

I know the feeling on being a traitor also. Got my wife a 08 pilot to replace the Quest(she hated it). Her Civic was passed down to my stepdaughter in march. Only Nissan left is the pathfinder!

Hondas ain't bad, Regular maintnance is like anything. They have quirks but what doesn't? Defiantly agree on the security front, they are thief magnets for some reason. The few I've moved around due to interruptions of momentum have had good results for the occupants too. Something I would have some comfort in putting a loved one in (if I didn't have the option of something 4wd)

Hmmm I guess we can forgive you. Not sure if they do them down your way, but the BMW Car Club around here offered (not sure if they still do) a safe driving class you can take, I think it was like $75 or something. Took it myself when I was 18 or 19. It helps!

Is it a stick or auto? And why a small car instead of a guzzler like her daddy?

Be careful if that's an auto. Honda had some tranny issues in the late 90-early 2000's.

2001 was the worst year for transmissions. They just blatantly fail for no reason.

So now I have three Nissans, one Suzuki, and one Honda in the driveway. All of them are white except my pathfinder.

This accord has a 3.0L single over head cam V6. My first question after driving it was where did Nissan go wrong! This little car hauls butt! Why didn’t Nissan push 200 hp out of the VG30 or at least the VG33?

I even got flashed by a red light camera while test driving it. I was having so much fun running the hell out of it I forgot about the camera at that light. Maybe the car dealer will send me the picture so I can see the big grin on my face when I passed the light.

James

It's a newer engine so it probably has higher compression and better control over spark plug timing. The VG33E can make some serious power if you wanted it to but the VG30E isn't that slow either. Did you ever test drive a Z31?

I had a 93 accord wagon. 2.4 with an overbore and it was fast too. Not sports car fast but faster than you'd think an old beat up wagon would be.

It was also the only automatic that I REALLY liked. I don't know if it was something the PO did or if its just Honda but that thing shifted fast and would drop a gear at the flutter of a pedal so you never had to wait for the downshift after you punch it.

I've always liked the 80's and 90's Hondas glad she got something that will take care of her and be good on gas.

Honda's are a good car I also owned an accord and it ran great. Good on gas had antilock brakes so would stop on a dime.I used a steering wheel / brake pedal lock remember those? But now we have more options to choose from. :itsallgood:

Welcome to the Nissan/Honda club ;)

My summer (fuel efficient) ride is an '02 Acura RSX Type S...gotta love Honda V-tech. They are fun to drive and make wonderful sounds when you push down the skinny peddle without killing you at the pump.

As icing on the cake you should pick her up a pair of Puma driving shoes so she doesn't wear sandals to drive...you stayed JDM...that's the important part :)

Edited by Pav

Nothing wrong with Honda, other than it isn't Nissan... :D

I hope it is as reliable as the Hondas I have dealt with, and please tell her 'Congrats! You are damn lucky to have that for a first car!!'.

B

Personally I was never a fan of Honda. I absolutely hate them. I respect personal choice though so I'm not going to say anything else about it.

I'm so glad a front wheel driver was not my first car... I would not trade a rear wheel drive platform for anything.

Do you ever go away? :rolleyes:

B

Aparently not! It's like ants at a picnic.

The transmission is always my concern with an auto. This car only has 80K miles so the trans should have some life left in it. It shifts perfect under light driving and WOT runs. I'll just service it like I do with my quest and hope for the best.

Her and all her friends just love my titan and she thought she was going to claim it as hers when she got her license but I finally convinced her that wasn't going to happen. Once she realized the fuel mileage and that she was going to have to pay her own fuel she agreed.

I'm impressed with her so far! The air bag light was on so she already looked up how to reset it. It didn't come with a keyless entry remote so she already found a link to get one and knows the procedure to program it. If I can get her under the hood too then I'll just have to pay for the maintenance and repairs instead of doing them too!

I've owned Nissans and one chevy pickup since 89 so this is my first Honda. I guess I'll have to find a good Honda forum to learn about them.

James

I wish I could point you to a good Honda forum. All I can find are ricer forums where they all brag about tuning the engines. I've been replacing the head on my wife's Prelude and checking out several sites.