Suspension Mods

andrewt6447

Everyone is probably sick of these, but I'm gonna annoy ya all with it anyhoo......

Before

P1020793.jpg

P1020795.jpg

mMake sure your bricks/timber are load rated for a Terrano...

P1020797.jpg

Add this;

P1020796.jpg

And these

P1020798.jpg

And slightly longer...

P1020800.jpg

And you end up here...

P1020801.jpg

I'll explore if there's any more Height to be had once I go back to work next week. I don't think so tho, there's only an extra 15mm droop over the old setup I had. I had to add a 10mm spacer under the bumpstops or the CV's bound. The shocks are right on the limit lengthwise, they will bottom around 10mm after the bumpstops are contacted.

I may also explore lowering the front diff a bit.

Otherwise that sas option is always there......

Edited by andrewt6447
  • Like 1

Yep, pretty much the same thing I did! :aok:

I like your front clip exo-skeleton, but you mught want to improve that rear mount, I'm not sure the running boards are sufficient.

B

I like your front clip exo-skeleton, but you mught want to improve that rear mount, I'm not sure the running boards are sufficient.

B

Lol, yeh, they've survived 'till now, but some proper sliders are in the planning.....

• 3 weeks later...

Done the rest today, 2wd stuff in there now. And I put my prototype (it was the first one I made...changed the design a little now...) idler brace, and a bit of reinforcing on the arm too. Should be all sweet now. The outer tre's still are pretty much at their max angle, and the adjusters collide with the swaybar at full lock/extension. But not too badly. Machining the adjusters was easy as, took about 1/2 hour to bore and re-tap both adjusters and the locknuts.

P1020806.jpg

And the mount for the damper....

P1020807.jpg

You might want to address that Axle Boot. If you got crap in the CV joint that could be leading to the binding you're getting.

So why did you go with a longer shock? Unless I'm mistaken your mods didn't change the amount of travel the shock goes though. I think I'd be worried about bottoming out the shock at full compression. Smack something hard enough and the bumps stops can and will compress allowing the suspension to compress a little more too. If it works, it works and there is nothing to worry about. If I was you I'd make 100% sure they can't bottom out.

The shocks that were in it were limiting the travel. I'd already extended the upper pin to allow a bit more extension, but with the new arms it needed a fair bit more. I was hoping for a bit more than I got.....

The cv boots are well shot, it need new ones, but they aren't why it's binding at full extension, it's simply because the cv's can't take any more angle....

As for the shock bottoming, I'm not real worried, it will take a fair bit of force to compress the bottom bumpstops that far, and the shock mounting bushes have some give too.... or the first time I launch it properly it'll bust something :unsure:

On the cv boot subject, anyone know of something better/tougher than stock or standard replacement rubber one's?

Edited by andrewt6447

• 4 weeks later...

B

I finally got around to sorting it out.....

P1020824.jpg

P1020823.jpg

Better? :unsure:

Edited by andrewt6447

I finally got around to sorting it out.....

P1020824.jpg

P1020823.jpg

Better? :unsure:

Quite!! :aok:

It looks far more functional and I've never liked running boards on WD21s, they look too muck like something stuck on as an afterthought. Nerf bars are ok, but rock sliders are what I like to see! :D

B

Say, someone was asking about hood scoops a little while back. Is yours functional? Mind sharing how you set it up?