2013 ford explorer

Bruce

Hi All,

my friend is looking for a new suv and pretty interested in the 2013 explorer. below is the link to wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer

honestly speaking, the new explorer looks like land rover evoque, but i have no idea how the 4wd capability.

my friend never goes offroad but he likes my qx4. so i guess he will join with this new suv.

compare to R50, how is the offroad ability of explorer? do you suggest it or other model?

thank you very much.

bruce

The cream of the crop of the new Explorer is to get a Police version. It's reinforced enough to actually go off-road. Other than that, you can't get much that's actually capable unless you are outside of the USA.

I dont know them first hand, but from what I just saw and read (described as a 'fullsized crossover SUV'), it is as oxymoron as it can be; Sport Utility Vehicle denotes 4x4 with some attention to suspension/ground clearance, more barebone than luxurious, and generally mid-sized or smaller. A full sized Ford Explorer is not a SUV, there is no sport about it. It is a 4WD land yacht, like the old Suburbans.

The typical crossover consists of a passenger car chassis, high seating position for a better view and a large cargo area. Most are available with all-wheel drive and some offer seating for as many as eight.

Obviously, a crossover is not an SUV...

Sorry for the rant, but the media type nomenclature makes it hard to know what your friend wants. Does he like the Ford Explorer for a large, powerful road vehicle that will handle poor weather and dirt roads? Does he want a sportier, more economical crossover vehicle that will handle poor weather and dirt roads? Does he want an SUV that is more focused towards utility and offroad ability?

I'd be hesitant taking it off road farther than a trail. Low, heavy, plastic front, low profile tires all combine to make for poor and/or expensive offrading. :shrug:

B

Ford, did somebody say FORD!! It stands for Fixed or repaired Daily.Sorry never been much of a ford person had a couple but did not have good luck with them.Was a CHEVY man until my pathfinder. Only a oxymoron would drive one of those land yacht's.

Had the best of luck with Fords in my family while the Chevys were generally garbage. Not going to start a stupid bickering match though.

Been reading a lot on the new Explorer at Insideline.Main complaints are adequate power with the Ecoboost and the Sync system, which is a problem with most new Fords until all of the bugs are worked out and the systems updated.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2012-ford-explorer-xlt-ecoboos/

• Like 1

From what I under stand is all exploders since 03 have been mini vans. They can handle snow and icy conditions but there not made for off-road traveling. If thats what he's looking for tell him to get a Fx4 F150 Eco-boast, thats about the best thing Ford has short of a 4x4 Super Duty for off roading.

Almost every Ford vehicle made after 2010 is nothing short of impressive. Much better quality than a typical import. I'm with Kingman on not buying a Chevy. :lol:

The new Explorer, as pathetic as it looks, can actually go off-road. Don't expect to do anything crazy but it will get you through snow, sand, and dirt just fine.

It's a fine SUV really. If I was in the market for something new, that's what I would go with. I'm just waiting until I can get the souped up police interceptor package.

I never have a FORD and not sure why you feel so terrible about FORD. Anyway, thanks for the input and I will suggest another car/brand.

F-150 is not available here, pity....