AC Recharge

headpeace

Is it safe to use the wally world interdynamics brand EZ Chill AC recharge can in our pathy's? Mines a 93 so I do have R-134A but I looked in the owners manual and it says

"must be charged with R-134a and the lubricant, Nissan A/C System Oil Type R....Use of any other refrigerants or lubricants will cause severe damage " :ohno01:

anyone know if it's OK to use this stuff? :scratchhead:

yeh I got the "refrigerant plus oil with system safe leak sealer" can that comes with the little gauge hose thing, then I read the owners manual and thought " I need to ask my NPORA peeps about this before I go any farther" :D

I said this before and I'm going to say it again... Avoid using charge cans. They are only good for a few thousand miles before your system loses all of its refrigerant again. Get a can with UV dye in it and put it in. Find where the leak is. Replace the part that is leaking and have the system professionally charged with a machine. The machine will correct the pressure between the high and low lines and your air conditioning system will be good for many more miles for you to enjoy. If you charge with a can and lose the refrigerant, you are at risk of ruining the compressor when the refrigerant runs out again.

the compressor safetys itself off once the system gets so low unless you have it hotwired or something stupid. Charge cans are fine, they just don't solve the long term problem. Leaks don't fix themselves but sometimes it's cheaper to jam a can in and have working a/c for a month and just put the windows down and enjoy fresh air on those not-so-effin-hot days

There is a safety switch for the compressor to turn off but it's really bad to be draining it as it's running since you are draining out the oil for the compressor as well. Those charge cans with leak stop/sealer can also plug up the evaporator and condenser. You get for what you pay for, a cheap and crappy fix.

I've used them before and they do work if your leak isn't too bad. The compressor front seal was leaking on my pathy when I got it and this stuff stopped it. The system had probably been empty for years and the seal was dried up.

If you ever charged an A/C system before you would know you don't need a "machine" just a good set of gauges and the high pressure gauge is just there to monitor the high pressure. If nothing is wrong with your system other than it being a little low you don't need the high pressure gauge at all.

The problem with these cans is that they have a couple of ounces of oil in them too. If you use a couple over time you will have too much oil in your system and that will stop it from cooling as well even if you have enough refrigerant. Most A/C system use a total of around 8 ounces of oil. And you know most guys think, "If one worked that well two will work better!"

James

The advantage of the machine is that it has its own onboard compressor to vacuum everything out of your system. You can do this with a good set of gauges but you will need a way to create vacuum in the system before charging it. If you leave air in the system, you will overheat and blow the compressor.

As far as the compressor seal goes, you should be able to replace one if it's leaking. If you do it the right way, the system will work for as long as it has before or more.

Edited by Tungsten

I used the cans in my old truck with no problems, I put the sealer in eventually and it stopped the leak. Though it would take an entire winter to leak out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk