30x9.50R15 Tires on 15x9.5" Wheels

DryBear

So my 87 I4 2 Door Pathfinder came with 30x9.50R15 tires mounted on 15x9.5" wheels. I thought that was an odd size to have on my Pathfinder, but there didn't seem to be any problems, except for wear. So I went to the local Big-O-Tires to get some new 30x9.50R15 tires, and the mechanic says that the 30x9.5 tires shouldn't fit on my 9.5" wheels, and should at most go on an 8" wide wheel.

Obviously, I've got those size tires on my wheels, and they hold air fine, so Is this guy full of crap, or what? In any case should I stick to the 30 tires or go with a 31 size tire?

Don't recall any wheels 9.5" wide, possibly they are 10's? I would agree with the tech, yes the tires will mount on your wheels but having a 9.50 tire on a 10" wide wheel is going to pull the sidewalls way out, besides giving the bubble look it leaves the sidewall out there where they can easily be damaged. I would expect a 9.50 to be mounted on a 7" wide wheel. Even 10.50's on a 10" would be pushing it. Of course some may disagree with me, I'm speaking as being a former tire mounter in a 4x4 shop for many years.

Tires should always be wider than the rim, around 20-30% is a good average but every tire is slightly different. Find the tire you are interested in and then go to the manufacturer web site where they should have the recommended wheel widths for that particular tire model and size.

B

I agree that they will work, but you should definetly go with a wider tire.

I run a 33x12.5 on 10 inch wheels (that B told me about), and they work great.

Then again the choice is up to you....