rear door

WyKi

Hey guys how do I open the rear door on my 89 path (pwr locks/mirrors) As I unlock it with thee key and it just wont open from outside? How could I open it from the inside panel to see what is really wrong there and fix it. Thanks

Btw how easy is it to change the main and rod bearings without taking everything out? As the engine has almost 200k miles and woulds like to put those fresh with a new t-belt kit.

Never having done engine work, I'll stay away from that part... except to say that working around all the stuff you'd be working around would be a serious PITA.

If the handle's not doing it, and it's not locked... only thing I can think of is to remove the plastic cover on the inside of the door, but I've only ever done that with the door open. IIRC it just clips in there. If you can get it out, you can reach into the door and pull on things until the latch opens up.

I have done bottoms end work on other cars with no problem at all, just new to the 4x4 paths. I had a 92 2wd path but I worked on the trans and torque converter. Dropped the trans and did all the work on my back on jack stands and a jack. So no prob on doing work. Just wondering how difficult would it be reading from others who haves soon a rebuild before on these engines

• 1 month later...

On replacing the rod and main bearings without pulling the engine: I don't think attempting that on a VG series engine is a good idea. As far as physically doing it the crank cannot come out without taking everything off the front to remove the oil pump. You'd also have to drop the transmission to get the rear main seal housing off. Not to mention how much fun it is to get the oil pan out without pulling the motor. As for precision and cleanliness during assembly, VGs have tighter bearing clearances and closer tolerances than any other production engine I'm aware of. This is why they last so long, but it also means everything in a VG bottom end needs to be *exactly right*. These aren't like small block Chevs where you can just throw a set of bearings in a worn out motor, end up with .007" bearing to journal clearance, and run it another 50k miles. The upper limit of bearing clearance on a VG is .002". Many shops have failed when attempting to simply rebuild VGs, likely because they don't have the equipment required to hold the necessary tolerances. A very well known and respected Nissan/Datsun racing engine builder in California made four attempts at building a hotrod VG34 for a customer before finally giving up. The longest they ever got one to run was a 40 minute track day session. I don't know what they were doing wrong but each time the oil filter was full of bearing material.

• Like 1

Mr510.......you have no idea how many times i have gone round and round with people on this very issue. When people come in wanting these type parts I have to know all about the block stamp and so forth.

I cant...and wont....just "sell me some oversized bearings and rings"

Hey guys how do I open the rear door on my 89 path (pwr locks/mirrors) As I unlock it with thee key and it just wont open from outside? How could I open it from the inside panel to see what is really wrong there and fix it. Thanks

I took my panel off.