Question Regarding Power Steering Pump Lines? (Help!)

carla5589

I need help! The high pressure line/hose coming off my power steering pump was leaking, so i had someone remove it for me so i could buy the replacement parts. Unfortunately, he isn't very mechanically inclinded!! And not only that line/hose was removed! Another line/hose was removed with it, it ran from the reservoir along side the high pressure hose/feed and they were clamped together. We are assuming that it was the low pressure/ return hose? But everytime that i search for that part, it comes up as just a rubber hose? But in fact it is actually a peice of rubber hose coming off of the reservoir and into a metal line? Help me?? What exactly is this part called so that I can purchase it to get my vehicle fixed!!! My vehicle is a 1991 NISSAN PATHFINDER SE V6. Please help, i need to figure out what this mysterious part is, so that i no longer look like a complete idiot and can purchase it and get my rig running!!! Thanks so much! Carla

I ran into this issue recently myself. Yes, the high pressure and low pressure lines are clamped to each other. Nissan does not sell the hard line piece for the return line. You will have to re-use the hard line piece on the return section and you can only replace the soft hoses on it. You can buy them both clamped together at a Nissan dealership or a more economical alternative would be to replace the high pressure line only. If your return hard line leaks from rust your only other choice is to check a local scrap yard. I have a spare return hard line piece but it is for a 1995 Pathfinder although I am pretty sure it will fit.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-wd21-1987-1995/genuine-nissan-parts/steering/497-power-steering-piping/-c-5572_5573_5683_5692.html

Best of luck!

I'm going to replace the leaking pipes on my 96 soon & judging from the price I would say that the metal pipe is included. I could be wrong but I can't see them charging over $150 just for a high pressure rubber hose. The return could be a different story as Tungsten says. In the diagram it does look like the part is just the rubber hose though. Here's a link for 1991 model hoses (item #49720 is the high pressure hose)......... http://www.nissanpar...mponentsIndex=8

Edited by theexbrit

You can also take the assembly down to a local hydraulic line/hose shop (there is usually at least one in most mid-larger cities) and ask them to replace the soft section. Might be easier than trying to track down parts your self, and depending on the shop it might even be cheaper.

I had a local shop supply me with lines for my Oil Relo and it was far cheaper than local parts stores. But you won't know until you go in.

If you can get the right fittings you can probably get your own lines made. The cheap lines are really cheap. :lol: I would not run them even if they did come with a life time warranty.

You can also take the assembly down to a local hydraulic line/hose shop

If you have a good hydraulic shop then you should probably have a decent auto parts store. Custom can be nice, but direct fit with a lifetime warranty for 1/5 OEM price can't really be beat unless you have to warranty out the part often and I have never had a new assembly fail.

I was just unhappy with any aftermarket solution and junkyard lines didn't really do it for me either. I just got new ones from Nissan and added a Magnefine filter on the return section. It came out great!

561850_10150681014384075_1086113116_n.jpg