New Distributor! Help Installing Please :)

My brand new remanufactered Hitachi OEM distributor arrived today!

For a manufactured drive, it looks brand new, with the OEM cap and rotor included, all for $211 which is a tremendous deal (every other online place charges 260 +60 core charge so 320 in total not even incliding shipping), and the price dropped to $201 the day after i bought it off amazon.

Now, installing is a whole other matter.

1. I do not know to get the engine to TDC, because I do not know which bolt is the crankshaft pulley bolt. Anybody have experience with this? TDC was so much easier when the engine was on the engine stand in auto tech class.;

2. The distributor is held down by one single bolt, which looks impossible to get to considering the angles and the hoses blocking the way.

Any help would be appreciated :D

The crank pulley bolt is central inside the crank pulley. You can't miss it. Access it from the bottom by removing the dust shield.

Remember there are two "Top Dead Center" occurrences on a 4-stroke engine. In this case however, turn it to TDC according to the notches on the pulley, and then pop the cap off and record what clock position the distributor rotor is pointing. Then, install the new one clocked the exact same way. You then fine-tune with the bolt holding it down (after following the procedure in the FSM with revving it up and down and all that).

As for that bolt, do what you can. A crow's foot can probably get to it.

thanks! the crows foot is a good idea, i jsut bought a set for my brake lines.

also, what would happen if the distributor was one notch off? because the spherical mesh gear makes it kinda hard to line up perfectly, i assume the compression TDC would have the rotor pointing at the number one cylnder spot on the cap

Edited by m0nkeyprince

okay, so i found out how i get TDC, but the crankshaft bolt is kinda big, is that a 23-24mm bolt?

next step is the hardest i think, because i have no idea how to remove the distributor hold down bolt which is annoying!

Only 1 bolt holds down the distributor, and it's in plain sight too, which makes it burn even more when the angle it's at makes it impossible to remove :(

The crank pulley is a 23 mm IIRC. You probably need to remove some goodies to get to the bolt. I'm on my phone or I'd look back at my pics when I diagnosed my mucked up engine.

aw really? just to turn to TDC? why can't the engineers cut us some slack :(

lol that distributor bolt is taunting me i swear, its so accessible, yet, not at all

isnt there a tool to reach awkward bolts?

i think it's called a universal joint wrench or something,

alot of people used it when trying to reach the awkward #6 sparkplug in our 3.3 engines

lol the crank pully bolt is way bigger than 22 :P

anyways, i fixed it!!!

i installed the new distributor today, and i used a universal joint (i bought a 3 pack from sears) to reach the bolt.

This was a cool project, i learned alot, and now i got a new tool in my arsenal, the universal joints :D

The old distributor , when i turned it upside down, brown dust (looks like brake dust) fell out

Now this was almost impossible without some luck and research so I will create a how to guide for installing the distributor for any body in the future who needs it

Also, I am scared of driving my car now, every vibration, every little abnormal noise, and it freaks me out because i think somethings wrong :( this happens to anybody else?

My brand new remanufactered Hitachi OEM distributor arrived today!

For a manufactured drive, it looks brand new, with the OEM cap and rotor included, all for $211 which is a tremendous deal (every other online place charges 260 +60 core charge so 320 in total not even incliding shipping), and the price dropped to $201 the day after i bought it off amazon.

whats the part number?

• 8 years later...