Passenger suspension

Danger

Background: I've been getting a clicking noise from the passenger front while making right hand turns, or hard lefts.

Nothing from the driverside. So today I jacked it up and took off the wheel to take a look. None of the bolts were loose that I tried. And the cv boots were in pretty good shape. I reapplied grease to the turn stops (but that's a different noise I'm used to). On a guess I looked at the body bolt, right behind the wheel, and it was really loose.

I took it for a drive and didn't notice a clicking anymore. But at looking at the condition of my suspension, is it time to replace it all?

Sorry for the long post.

IMG-20120517-00011.jpg

IMG-20120517-00010-1.jpg

IMG-20120517-00009.jpg

I would only change things that are loose or worn out. Check those tie rods, control arm bushings and tension rod bushings for excessive damage or play. I would change those sway bar links though. Your tension rod bushings look ok from the pic but its hard to see (second pic, rod going from LCA to the frame).

Either than the rubber being warn, everything was tight, just looks horrible, and rust proofed.

I'm just thinking, the bushings might be on th last legs, and I'd rather do the work in the summer than HAVE to in the winter.

Thanks Adam

Is that a hole in your shock body? I agree with Adam, replace what is worn or loose. It also looks to me like there's moisture trapped behind your rust proofing from the way it's peeling away. Rust proofing in this condition can sometimes hide things you might otherwise want to look at.

Yes its a hole. And the rust proofing we use always stays wet. So when it got layered on two years in a row it could have been becuase the layer under was still wet. I often spray out my rails and the water comes out clear.

If I were to put in shocks made for a lift without changing the UCA would it damage them? I'm on the fence about doing a 2" sus lift. Or are body lifts better?

No, it's still a pretty enjoyable ride, no real bounce. But the suspension lift is something that I might look into, unless a lot of people say body lift is superior.

If I were to put in shocks made for a lift without changing the UCA would it damage them? I'm on the fence about doing a 2" sus lift. Or are body lifts better?

No, they'd be ok, the compressed height doesn't change with a suspension lift. I'd do the suspension lift first, it gives ya more ground clearance, always a bonus....