Wont rev past 3000RPM

NissanNismoZ

Tried searching, as i read something similar a while ago..but..search keeps erroring out..Anyway.

My TPS was acting up, and failing, so i replaced it, also replacing the entire intake/throttle collar.

Now, it sounds like its missing and wont rev past 3k RPM..it acts like that's its rev limit now?? What??

Any ideas? :/

Thanks!

Here's a video... (BTW I have NO idea why that sounds like that on the video..it sounds fine on teh computer and phone..but not once uploaded to photobucket...?

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/Nismo_Nissan_350Z/?action=view&current=video-2012-05-16-15-52-58.mp4

Yeah... the 3k rpm is limp home mode... it'll do that if the MAF is dead or the wiring is buggered. Did you replace the MAF with the other stuff? Check the wires/plug/sensor...

Edited by Slartibartfast

WOO! You guys were right. Slarti, the limp home mode was from the MAF. the previous owners crimps came loose on one and recrimped it and Tada!!! Much better. :)

Thank you guys!

that's not a bad idea!! I'm getting tired of them as well.

BTW. one more question since I can't find it in the FSM.. could someone with a WD21 post their tps reading at idle?? Thanks!

TPS diagnostics are there, you're just not looking in the right area! ;-) at closed throttle possition, you should have a reading of approximately 1k ohms. At WOT throttle, you should have a reading of approximately 9k ohms. Between closed and WOT is between 1k and 9k ohms. When looking at the plug from the sensor, with the clip on top, it's the middle and right pins you take the reading from.

If it's anything like the S12, a 5spd TPS only functions as a closed, open, and WOT switch. The only test I see in the FSM is that two pins are supposed to have continuity when the throttle is closed.

yep mines an auto. about to go change the oil and get that TPS right! it drives pretty powerless with it not being adjusted right. and I'm getting 15mpg instead of the usual 21!!

so I put my old TPS sensor.back on as it was doing the same thing as my new one..(acting like I was repeatedly pushing and letting off the gas pedal)

so I got aggravated and listened closely...and noticed a loud hissing noise..I get determined and start feeling around and on the back of the intake..there's a hose rotted off. aha! power loss and no brakes on low rpm AND weird tps-like issues were all fixed! Pathy does like it used to! :)

I so now there's still some.power loss due to the exhaust leak, but now its 90% better and not having.to downshift to 3500rpm up a hill. Much better! Thank you everyone. I just put the old sensor back there it was, according to screw holes..

• Like 1