Starter below the oil filter

RF600

what did you pay to have the lines made at Amazon? I called them one day and I forget if I asked for 3' or 2' hoses with AN straight ends on each end and they told me they would be like $20 each, think I asked for the -8 AN connectors

I don't really remember....I'd say it was under $100 for both but that is a guess. Its been a few years. I may have receipts not sure.

Can you recall how long the lines are you had made?

I like that adapter, and the lines, (I will have similar lines made with the same ends when I do mine), but I'm not to fond of the filter under the hood. You would still need to put something under it to catch any oil or be REALLY careful when removing the filter. Possibly having the filter up high allows the oil to drain when the engine is off I don't know. I like the filter mounts with the line connections on the top better, keeps the lines away from the filter. But everyone has their own preferences and the setup in the pictures is not mine. It looks good though.

I usually use just a towel underneath in case I spill any removing the filter. Usually only a drop or two, but the filter is very full so got to be careful not to tip it.

The biggest install issue I recall was getting the ports on the engine side adapter to be at the bottom dead center. Think I had to peen some threads to get the thread insert for the engine side adapter located so it would stop the adapter in the right place.

In order to get the hose length, I took the kit to Amazon and bought the correct fittings first. Installed the fittings in the oil filter relocation parts and then installed the kit to the truck. I used some regular black rubber hose to figure out the necessary length. The Teflon hoses are very stiff so it's critical to get the length correct. I could've used like 1/4" more on one of the lines, but it worked out okay.

Yes, it is a Hayden kit...the only reason I know for sure is that its what I wrote in my signature.

Why did you have to clock ports the engine side adapter? :scratchhead:

I like that adapter, and the lines, (I will have similar lines made with the same ends when I do mine), but I'm not to fond of the filter under the hood. You would still need to put something under it to catch any oil or be REALLY careful when removing the filter. Possibly having the filter up high allows the oil to drain when the engine is off I don't know. I like the filter mounts with the line connections on the top better, keeps the lines away from the filter. But everyone has their own preferences and the setup in the pictures is not mine. It looks good though.

I made a 2 piece mount so when I change the filter I break it loose but don't break the seal, remove 3 bolts and then unscrew the filter holding both the filter and adapter. It's not too hard to do this without spilling any oil and far better than dumping it on the starter and having it drip off of the crossmember/A arm. Besides, I get to run the Fram PH8a size filter...

B

P8290303.jpg

I clocked it so the lines would run side by side and as low as possible to increase clearance to the header.

I basically took every precaution I could to avoid a line/hose failure. I didn't want to get stranded in the woods because an oil line blew...not to mention chance of destroying engine.

I'm a mechanical engineer by profession so I tend to overdo things a bit, but to me a bit of extra time and money upfront can save big time down the road.

Edited by andreus009

I have the AN fittings already -8 I believe, I had them when I had the dual filter mount on my hardbody, still have everything minus the hoses. I had the SS lines from transdapt with straight ends but the hoses were cheap didn't like them.

Those lines look like they are braided SS, are they Teflon lined?

Precise1, any pics of this:

"I made a 2 piece mount so when I change the filter I break it loose but don't break the seal, remove 3 bolts and then unscrew the filter holding both the filter and adapter."

Edited by ahardb0dy

As my brain recalls it is a Teflon hose with a braided SS jacket. I'd really have to check my paperwork (if I can find it) to be sure. As another small note....if you do pick a hose type, verify that Amazon has it in stock. I ended having to drive to their Tampa store because they ran out of the type of hose I wanted here. :doh: My fault really for not checking first and being in a hurry (I had a wheelin trip planned that I didn't want to miss)

DAMN IT ! just saw you are in Orlando !! We're neighbors !!

I went to the Amazon on OBT and Princeton, they fixed 2 of my metal AC lines for my Sentra, We should get together one weekend, do a junkyard run or something.

Precise1, any pics of this:

"I made a 2 piece mount so when I change the filter I break it loose but don't break the seal, remove 3 bolts and then unscrew the filter holding both the filter and adapter."

Apparently not (I checked), but I'll take a few shots for you today.

This is a forum, not a personal... :tongue:

:bwack:

B

Hush.

No 'need' about it, it is what worked out the way I wanted it with what I had on hand. I don't view 3 bolts in plain view/access a challenge. :shrug:

014.jpg

There was an electrical 'tree' there held several connectors. I removed that and used the mounting points for a flat piece of aluminum as the base. I realized that it was too low and hard to get to so I used a piece of aluminum C channel as a riser for the filter mount, bolting everything together.

When I do an oil filter change, I break the oil filter loose, remove 3 bolts, move it/position it so there are no drips (or into an appropriate container), unscrew the filter, screw the new one, replace 3 bolts and have a beer.

B

Is the metal the bolts go into threaded or do you have to deal with nuts as well?

Was going to say if the metal is threaded may be easier to screw 3 threaded rods in with loctite and than just remove 3 nuts on top, but it's your design and if your happy with it that is all that matters right?

No, the holes in the top of the C channel were tapped so all you have to do is remove the 3 bolts upward. I'm a machinist, after all!

If I wanted to go all Indy pit crew, I could use only 2 titanium bolts... :lol:

That was the 'prototype' for fitment that actually turned out good enough. It aint broke, so it don't need no fixin'. ;)

There is a lot of that on my truck. Could it be better, yes. Is it worth fixing, no. :shrug:

I guess that's acceptable but those Nissan OEM double wire clamps suck. Solid band clamps are much better. Still much better than zip ties though. :lol:

Well, as long as you find it acceptable... :rolleyes:

You are totally wrong about the clamps though. They are not Nissan OEM for one, I'm not sure where you got that from.

Also, they do not suck.

Furthermore band clamps (I'm assuming worm gear?) are not necessarily better. It is a matter of application, my dear pinhead.

I used the right sized wire clamp to secure the hose to the barbed fitting. A band clamp will squeeze the hose around the high point of the barb, only giving you one sealing point and possibly cutting into the hose its self. A properly located wire clamp will give 2 sealing surfaces (2 lands of the barb) as it straddles one of the high points without cutting into the hose. Do you see any evidence of any leakage, ever? No.

You have even failed clampology 101 so you should refrain from making absolute statements until you have caught up.

B

10-4, as I said it's your truck, I have no problem with how you did was just saying that's all. One day I'll do mine. Thanks for posting the pic, was curious on what you meant by 2 piece adapter.

Good explanation on the clamps, they do look like factory Nissan style clamps, never thought about the way the wire clamps sit on the barbs, GOOD DEAL!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

No, the holes in the top of the C channel were tapped so all you have to do is remove the 3 bolts upward. I'm a machinist, after all!

If I wanted to go all Indy pit crew, I could use only 2 titanium bolts... :lol:

That was the 'prototype' for fitment that actually turned out good enough. It aint broke, so it don't need no fixin'. ;)

There is a lot of that on my truck. Could it be better, yes. Is it worth fixing, no. :shrug:

Well, as long as you find it acceptable... :rolleyes:

You are totally wrong about the clamps though. They are not Nissan OEM for one, I'm not sure where you got that from.

Also, they do not suck.

Furthermore band clamps (I'm assuming worm gear?) are not necessarily better. It is a matter of application, my dear pinhead.

I used the right sized wire clamp to secure the hose to the barbed fitting. A band clamp will squeeze the hose around the high point of the barb, only giving you one sealing point and possibly cutting into the hose its self. A properly located wire clamp will give 2 sealing surfaces (2 lands of the barb) as it straddles one of the high points without cutting into the hose. Do you see any evidence of any leakage, ever? No.

You have even failed clampology 101 so you should refrain from making absolute statements until you have caught up.

B

There are solid worm style clamps without the slats, those work the best. The double wire things make sense for a barbed fitting though but that's actually not the most ideal fitting to use anyway. For a regular fitting, the worm clamps work much better. The double wire things just dig more into the hose rather than actually clamp it and over time can actually make the hose tear off as it expands from heat. Who's failing now?