clutch sticking and hard shift

just moved up to NJ from FL and am having this problem since the cold nights. When i start the truck its very hard to shift into any gear until its warmed up and im down the road and the engine is at normal temp. my flywheel needs to be replaced as i have herd grinding and had it checked by my mechanic. Entire clutch was replaced 5 years ago other than the master cylinder and slave cylinder, trying to save money so i purchased a new master and slave as well as the flywheel and can get it all installed for 325. Anyone have any thoughts or tips here just want her running smooth again and ready to 4x4

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed?

I'm on my original clutch and flywheel at 145,000 miles, and changed out my trans fluid at 90,000.

Your fix might be a lot cheaper than you think, and you can do it in you driveway.

Transmission flush last month, its weird its only been acting up since ive been up here in the cold, but flywheel does have a few missing teeth so i know thats the grinding i hear on the occasional start up. but i dont know why the clutch pedal sticks down still

Some of them do that, it is a Nissan thing :) Same problem when it is cold the first couple of shifts are "sticky" until the transmission warms up. I had an Xterra do the same thing, my local mechanic ex nissan dealership guy says it is not that uncommon. The grinding would be more worrying to me.

Try bleeding out your clutch hydraulics, just like brakes. The pedal should not stick down, something is binding or you have bad pressure.

Edited by rgallant

Im gonna try bleeding the clutch this weekend, so it wont be driven, i just checked the clutch fluid which was just dot 3 brake fluid and it was filthy, so hoping that helps but i think i defiantly need to install the flywheel i have cause i hear the teeth grind every ten starts or so.

You said you just changed the transmission fluid.

What type of fluid did you put back in.

I bought a brand new nissan transmission (factory nissan) 5 years ago. I drained the stock fluid and put some cheap sta-lube gl-4 gear oil in it(it was an old stock transmission that had been sitting for 10 years) to run it for the first 500 miles. It shifted like crap when it was cold. After the 500 miles I drained it and put in red line MT90. What a huge difference. It shifted like butter after that. I will never put anything in my Manual transmission but MT90.

I think that sta-lube Gl-4 I put in was the wrong weight and that is why it was so hard to shift when it was cold.

Edited by msavides

i used the sta-lube and it worked fine for me for over a year... lol. in the winter i didnt notice a difference. chaning the fluid did help in the 1992 that i had tho. put some amsoil in it and it shifted so smooth. (i dont know what was in it before...)

So now im confused again. Its finally warm here and and went out and started the truck and it ran perfect. No noise no clutch issues no nothing (stratches head) so drove it around town and threw all the gears no problems what so ever, gonna bleed the clutch because father in law says there is air in it but other than that just kinda confused why it was acting up in the cold the last two weeks