Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Install

I know a few of you guys have installed one in the past.

I was wondering if any of you experienced any chattering.

Mine has a bit of chatter when going in reverse. Shifting perfectly in 1-5

I only have about 100 miles of stop and go miles on the new clutch so perhaps it will go away.

I'm going to assume you did a better job than I did on my install. I effed mine up as it wasn't aligned properly (or so I think). It chattered in all gears and neutral with clutch pedal out. Got worse over time around 350 km on it it started squealing. Took it to a shop where they figured it as a bad pilot bushing (even though I replaced it), there was still no sign of damage on the clutch and ran fine once put back together. Not 200km later it started to chatter again, this time to the point where the clutch wouldn't fully release. I took it back to the same shop. This time there was visable damage. The hub on the friction plate had separated.

If you're 100% confident it's aligned properly and that it was a quality install, I would just keep an eye on it. But if you have any doubt, I would pull it apart, before you do any more damge. Trust me I have a $700 clutch in my basement with a detroyed friction plate and a pressure plate that still looks brand new.

100% sure

New flywheel, pressure plate, clutch. The pilot bearing had only 5,000 miles on it as well as the throw out bearing. I had a bad rear main seal that took out my last clutch at 5,000 miles. I also used a clutch alignment tool to ensure the clutch was centered to the pilot bearing.

I had some clutch chatter with my centerforce it was really bad in 1st...I haven't noticed it in a while and I won't drive my truck again for a long time...I pulled all the IFS out...my clutch got 120 highway miles on it and I let the blue smoke roll on a trail...and have had it hot/smoking a couple of other times and I haven't had any more issues...this also includes an 1800 mile drive to moab thru the Eisenhower tunnel (forget the pass name) pulling a heavy ass trailer

The chatter has all but gone away...sometimes I got it on a cold morning in 1st gear until it warmed up....my 2008 Tacoma has the same issues in the winter as well

The chatter in reverse is becoming less and less. I think it is pretty much broke in know. I won't worry too much about the 500 miles break in. 99% of the people I have talked to said they only drove about 100 miles before they either stomped on it or took it hardcore wheeling. I think the drive to Hollister tomorrow will put me over 250 miles however most of tomorrows driving will be freeway. I will try to be a little gentle on it while wheeling but I Know I can't help myself once I get out there.

Hopefully mine doesn't start chattering. I've only put 5 miles on the truck but it's been so long since I've driven it that I didn't even notice the clutch until a buddy asked me how it felt. Almost as smooth as the stock clutch.

We'll see how she holds up after some miles.

• 2 years later...

My clutch and throw out are going. Seriously considering centerforce. Now that you have couple miles/years on it, how's it working for you. My wd21 is a 90, 2Dr, SE-V6, with 33x12.5 under six inches of lift. The extra 20 lbs per tire is little too much for stock clutch. The cf dual friction seems like best bet, especially if I'm going to add more weight and power. How long is break in? Any tips or suggestions?

Mine is still working great. Never does it slip even a little bit. there has been a few times in the wrong gear downshifting and a few time romping on it, Yes it grabs, yes it will bring the car to a halt and jerk you around.

The clutch stopped all chattering after a good break in at hollister doing the jungle trail. was still not used to the clutch so I stalled it about a half dozen times.

World of difference. I had a really stout clutch in the Z though, the stock shift fork wasn't enough. Sometimes I'd grind gears and snapping them isn't uncommon. It seems to be OK with this clutch but I don't mind overkill.