2WD Steering Setup Installed w/ Pictures, Using OEM Steering Damper.

• 2 weeks later...

it looks good, cant wait until the parts get here. i just replaced all my tre's ball joints and idler arm and took it out a few days later and here i am just ordered some more tre's! lol

what are tre's?

And whats the benefit of doing this? What exactly gets replaced? And where do you get it? Thx

tre - tie rod ends.

what are tre's?

And whats the benefit of doing this? What exactly gets replaced? And where do you get it? Thx

Have you read the thread?

Yeah the link above page 4 gives you the part numbers for what tungsten used. when you have the tie rod end couplers tapped just make sure its the ends with the right hand threads. between this topic and the link above you should be able to get er done.

I meant information wise, those pictures have been dead for along time. Send Tungsten a pm and he would be able to organize with a mod to fix those dead links.

Okay dude...I made this thread....go back one page and all the pics are there. I already updated them. Go through the thread pages and READ! I couldn't have made it any more clear. There's so much information and 10+ pictures.

• Like 3

Okay dude...I made this thread....go back one page and all the pics are there. I already updated them. Go through the thread pages and READ! I couldn't have made it any more clear. There's so much information and 10+ pictures.

If he's mobile or on tapatalk they might not be there. Not showing up for me anyway.......

Edited by Trogdor636

• 1 year later...

First off Hi guys! New member and first post. Bit of background I have a 91 2wd xe which I've converted to SE lsd, disc's etc. I'm halway through swapping to a 2wd front end but my issue is im using a drop spindle kit for d21 anyway long story short everything bolts together nicely as expected however my stock TRE's are at too much of a angle to work. My question being can I use the 2wd center link like your 4x4 hybrid setups to get the same results?

I doubt anyone is going to end up going the route I choose since I'm 2wd vs 4wd but everything applies. So the upper and lower balljoints 2wd vs 4wd are in fact the same, 2wd upper control arms are different and by a guestimated 1 inch, the issue particularly with my setup again is the 2wd, the 2wd upper control arm contacts the frame even with bump stop removed unweigthed, weighted might be a second story. I used the 2wd center link and inner tie rod ends, I've been trying to find a place in town to machine me the adjusting sleeve so I can use 1 ton chevy outer tie rod ends. That's a work in progress. Outside of that the tie rod end on the spindle needs to be tapered opposite of how it mounts stock (these are 2" drop spindles) on top of grinding the lower control arm for ball joint clearance and flipping the lower balljoint. Everything is strictly bolt on minus the reaming of the tie rod end if I were to use factory TRE's all the way through. If I can find a place in town would anyone be interested in tIhe TRE adjusting sleeve for 1 ton chevy outers? I have taken no pics this far but can if anyone is interested. Sorry for high jacking original thread.

I doubt anyone is going to end up going the route I choose since I'm 2wd vs 4wd but everything applies. So the upper and lower balljoints 2wd vs 4wd are in fact the same, 2wd upper control arms are different and by a guestimated 1 inch, the issue particularly with my setup again is the 2wd, the 2wd upper control arm contacts the frame even with bump stop removed unweigthed, weighted might be a second story. I used the 2wd center link and inner tie rod ends, I've been trying to find a place in town to machine me the adjusting sleeve so I can use 1 ton chevy outer tie rod ends. That's a work in progress. Outside of that the tie rod end on the spindle needs to be tapered opposite of how it mounts stock (these are 2" drop spindles) on top of grinding the lower control arm for ball joint clearance and flipping the lower balljoint. Everything is strictly bolt on minus the reaming of the tie rod end if I were to use factory TRE's all the way through. If I can find a place in town would anyone be interested in tIhe TRE adjusting sleeve for 1 ton chevy outers? I have taken no pics this far but can if anyone is interested. Sorry for high jacking original thread.

Instead of getting sleeves machined, why not use some DOM and bungs. These are readily available from most DIY fabrications suppliers.

I'm already running 4wd upper control arms, the 2wd didn't fit. That's my next step is a 1 ton chevy setup all though I think that will be major overkill for something that will maybe see a over grown fire road at the gnarliest. I got the spindles reamed today so from here it should be easy, only thing left to do is relocate the steering lock limiter things

• 4 weeks later...

G'day,
I'm in Australia. I own an R20 Terrano II 2.7TDi (the Australian imported model 1997-1999).

I believe this is almost exactly the same front end (steering/susp) as the earlier WD21 Pathfinders.

Does anyone know if the R20 Terrano II parts will allow me to perform this modification?
I have a feeling that they will. I know that the stock steering arm on my R20 is the smaller 28 spline version which should fit the 2wd stud taper on the draglink. I also know that the idler arm is the same one used on the earlier WD21 pathfinders.

There seems to be differing opinions with part numbers for tie rod ends between the WD21 pathfinder/Terrano and my R20 Terrano II.
So I need to get a definite answer on those. Other than that I 'think' the conversion will work as everything else is/seems the same (including drag link control arms, uprights, shocks, torsion bars, brakes etc etc).

I am currently running a full right hand drive Calmini heavy duty steering set-up for a D22 Pathfinder thatI imported from the U.S.
What a big job!!! This required fitting a 1993 Pathfinder steering box and a lot of dicking around...

It has never worked 100% due to incorrect ackermann geometry problems etc (it toes-in on tight turns, not toe-out as it is meant to). So I am considering changing back to the 2WD conversion and selling the Calmini system to someone with a D22.

Thankyou for ANY help you can share with the conversion and the wheel aligment numbers you used. I am an engineer and have built rally/race cars in my youth, so feel free to use technical terms etc...

FYI - This is a standard R20 Terrano II 2.7TDi

nissan_terrano_2_1997.jpg

Regards,

Andrew.

• 1 month later...

hi i have a 95 widebody d21 V6 petrol terrano and im interested in doing the 2wd centre steering link swap but i cant find the correct part numbers for the centre link and inner tie rod ends to fit my beast as no one in my area seems to have heard of it any help would be great thanks