Unsteady high idle

NissanNismoZ

It may just be me as it usually only happens when cold..but today, this morning when i got in the truck and started it up..it idled fairly high at 2500..i continued to do my chores about 5 mins later and it was still at 2500! I kicked the throttle and it went down to around 1500..then down to 1100. it wasnt really all that cold out..but this isnt the first time it's done this.. sometimes the idle will go up and down.. and not stop "searching"?

Any ideas?

Thanks! It's nothing critical yet, but i want to keep it from happening..

You might see if your iacv-aac is sticking. its that long tower looking thing behind your egr valve if you tap it after your engine has warmed up and your idle drops that might be your issue.

would you mind posting a picture of this IAC valve? I think I have the same issue, but I don't think I have all that complicated EGR stuff (therefore I am uncertain where my IAC is) because mine is a 1994.

Actually, smacking it with the handle of a screwdriver did it! Is there a way to clean these? or just do the seafoam treatment again...?

I love it when I'm right :D Seafoam doesn't get into those and I think that the issue isn't so much that they get dirty as they get old and corroded inside. I don't know if you can clean it, but you might try and see what you get. I've taken one apart, but I was never able to get it to work properly after reassembly.

Good luck let us know if you get it cleaned out.