Headlight issues......

hcr32

Alright, I'll tell you the whole story.

First off, I DID SEARCH, before someone gets ****** with me for not searching.

I discovered the problem may be a faulty headlight switch..

Anyways the story.

So the other day I noticed that when I turned the truck on and released the parking brake the drivers side highbeam headlight came on.

Came home, did some searching and noticed a common problem is the headlight switch. So I ordered a new one (not here yet) and decided to take the current switch off the and see if I could clean the contacts or anything.

Took the switch off the stalk, looked @ it..wiped it etc. Before I put the switch back in I decided to start the truck and release the parking brake to see what would happen. the drivers side high beam STILL came on.

So @ this point Im thinking that it may be something to do with the daytime running light module. I located the daytime running light module, unplugged it and turned the headlights on. All the lights worked EXCEPT the drivers side headlight...wouldn't do a thing.

So plugged the DRL module back in, and now Im back @ square one...start the truck, release the parking brake, drivers side highbeam on. If I turn the running lights on they come on, highbeam still stays on, if I turn the headlights on the drivers side goes to low beam and everything else works as normal. Flick the highbeams on with the headlights on they work as normal.

Sorry for such a long story but I just wanted to make sure all info is there so you electrical wizards may be able to give me a hand!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I left you a reply over at infamous, but there are a lot more canadian owners here so they may be able to confirm how the DRL should properly operate. Guys, what i told him over there was that the FSM for a 97 HB explains that the DRL should be off if you crank the truck with the parking brake on. But once you release the brake the should come on and stay on regardless of the parking brake. And of course normal headlights override the DRL. I don't have an FSM for a 93, but on a 90, it makes no mention of the parking brake and it isn't in the wiring diagram. Is the parking brake function common to all years or did they add that at some point?

It seems to me like his problem is actually with the passenger headlight NOT turning on with the DRL so the drivers headlight is getting the full 12vdc instead of splitting it with the passenger side.

hahaha!

I'll tell ya my story, Parky. Don't know if it will help ya out though, as my situation was a bit different than yours...

'95 SE, NO DRL module.

When I got my rig from original owner, driver's side low beam never came on. Replaced the bulb, cleaned the switch with no effect.

Bad ground I thought, so I cut the (if memory serves me right here...) the black wire from driver's headlight pigtail and ran that to a new ground.

Headlights worked normally EXCEPT that if the e-brake was on, the driver's side low beam wouldn't come on until I released the ebrake. Once the ebrake was released, all worked normally.

I thought that was weird.

Then I got tired of having crappy, yellow lights at night. I relayed them and the silly little ebrake problem went away. Now I have nice bright powerful lights.

I suggest to you that you A) look for a newly installed ground from driver's pigtail and B) relay those lights.

d.

Edited by lint

I'm going to try that tomorrow.

My plan is.

-Ground drivers side headlight

-Get a relay harness off eBay

-H4 conversion

Should be nice n' bright after :)