my pathfinders gone

87mudfinder

Well i put way too much cash into it. ICBC gonna screw me so in one hand i must have a KY jelly and just getting ready to have my hiney plugged by those bezatchs... Not at all happy but dunno if i am gonna do this all over again. Want another pathy but might be thinking of a Chevy 1999-2003 blazer ZR2

http://www.chevrolet.com/blazer/

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/chevrolet/che...zer-photos.html

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/432718

This would be the dream to the new one...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496083

Already sourced one out in town and payments at $200 a month?

Dunno man might be jumping the bandwagon :X :shrug:

My exboss has one and a coworker's g/f has one, both of them say it's the worst rig they've ever owned ~ a true POS ~ cheap build quality, fit & finish is crap, reliabilty is questionable, you'll take it in the shorts while you own it & worse when you try to unload it... :contract: "BUY AMERICAN"... no thanks !

On the otherhand, I like the styling of the 2-doors, if that's any consolation... ;)

Are you kidding ?? American vehicles are great as long as you buy it new and trade it in after 2 years... I have a buddy who does this religiously... He always has a new, cool truck of some sort, and he always takes it in the shorts with the depreciation, and always has payments... I don't think he has ever stopped to consider what it is really costing him. He once asked me why I don't buy a new truck. I replied by asking him why doesn't he actually own his vehicle, this one still runs fine, why is new 'better', and I like to eat good steak. The last one hit a nerve; he never has any money....

In all reality, some american vehicles are pretty good but it is best to find out from ratings where it is proven, then buy a good low mile model used. New is not necessarily better (anything less than 3 years old is 'new' as the reliability issues usually have not become evident)

My neighbor is a tow truck driver and swears that 50% of the vehicles he tows are GM. "What year and models" I asked, "GM" was his reply. He has a white Ford Taurus (sp) that he likes, and he wants to put flame decals on it. Not from the front to the back, but from the grill and wheel wells upward. What does that tell ya ?? Oh, his wife's car is a 90 Pathfinder that he is VERY impressed with....

Personally, I'm happy with Nissan, and for 5-8K you can get a nice (relatively) low mile specimen that has proven reliability. But then, to each their own....

Bernard

my nieghbor has a 2003 trail blazer that the company provided for him, very nice premium model. too bad it broke down.

my buddy's pops had a 2002 chevy 2500 HD that was actualy kinda nice till it broke down and couldnt drive past 35, then when he got home it actualy couldnt make it up the drive way, my buddy had to use his ford to push it.

there are some good things about chevy, they got a huge aftermarket, but other than that i wouldnt buy one.

I hate to say that you are very wrong about GM Products. They are one of the best company that you could get a vehicle from. Power, comfort, ride, and very reliable. But I will say that they need to fire their vehicle designers. My last three vehicles were Chevrolet Truck. my first was a 85 with 85,000 mile and ran great, burned no oil, and no rust until my g/f got T-boned on a county road. a Lady hit the truck with a thunderbird at 55 mph. Insurance Co totaled the truck. next truck was a 89; she had over 140,000 miles on an iron duke 2.5l and this one didn't burned no oil. a little rust here and there 11yrs of every day driving in Illinois weather. Current vehicle 2001 Xtreme awesome truck just 28,000 still breaking her in..

My dad has two chevy van. 1985 Astro 280,000 miles and full-size with 190,000 miles. when the astro only has about 150,000 we would drive it to Eugene, Or. every summer to see my brother... along the 2500 mile trip out not one gm on the side of the countless fords, dodges, and riceburners Even up in the mountains. That van was retire to being my dad work van and fullsize van is the vehicle of choice. The only complaint that I have with this van is that the suspension is too soft and rolls in the turn alot but on the flipside its a VERY comfortable ride.

Grandma farm truck 1962 Chevrolet straight 6, three tree, and wooden bed deck was still running as of 1996, uncle screwed it up and blew the motor and sold it to the junk yard. Dumb @$$...

I think that the worst vehicle out there is the dodge truck. We have\had a couple dodge vehicles and they are\were nothing but problems and rode like a rack wagon but the three gmc were retired after 12 years as service/ salt spreader/plow trucks and cost us less in repairs. We have a fleet on dodge b350 and caravan and we are consistently fixing problems on them.

Don't get me wrong I love my Pathy but you can't go that wrong with a GM vehicle. Every company has here problems that why you have warranties...

there are some good things about chevy, they got a huge aftermarket, but other than that i wouldnt buy one.

This true, its the only vehicle that will last more than one owner. I have seen too many fords, dodge and jeeps in the junk yard after the first owner.. Why do you think that Ford is number one is sales because you have to replace it after a year of two.. :P

my nieghbor has a 2003 trail blazer

I will agree this vehicle sucks -->straight 6 what were they thinking! They should have kept the 4.3l v-6 (great engine) or put a 327 in it but not a straight 6.

Tell that to my brother and his '02 Silverado 1500, which is driven mildy on low-pro street tires, yet has nasty engine knocking, some squeeling and vibration, and may be looking at a new tranny (luckily under warranty). Or my old Oldsmobile in college (one of the biggest P.O.S.'s every built). Or my dad's old 88 GMC, which couldn't seem to keep a tranny under it. Or my grandfather's '04 Chevy Silverado 3500 which is apparently already have issues in its first year. Or the much glamorized new Goat that just got its nuts handed to it by the new Mustang in Car and Driver, even though it had a 100hp advantage. Or Consumer reports, which regularly puts all American brands toward the bottom of the heap. I wait for the day when American car companies can finally pull their heads out of the 70's and 80's and give us a decent RELIABLE product. I'd like to see a comparo of say, a couple 200K mile Nissans and Toyotas VS. a group of 200K mile GM's, Ford & Dodge's. That would be fun. In the meantime, I'm happy as can be with my Pathy and an upgrade from a Toyota to an Acura. Maybe I'll get a Titan somewhere down the road when its time to retire the Pathy. But I surely wouldn't risk my money and patience on a domestic truck.

Maybe I'll get a Titan somewhere down the road when its time to retire the Pathy.
My Buddy at Napa just got one and loves it and he's a BIG Chevy Fan...

Like I Said:

Every company has here problems that why you have warranties...
lol

I would be curious to know the build dates on these vehicles... It might go back to something that my dad told about buying a car; never buy a car that was built on Monday or Friday and never buy that car on Monday or Friday. He was a travel Sales Rep for about 30 years and put about a 100,000 miles on his vehicles every year and a half and every car that his company brought for him that was built on Monday or a Friday had nothing but problems (mainly his ford ltd and chrysler Lebaron).

I agree Gm and American Auto makers are killing themselves. GM had the chance to have some very car back in the late 80's like banshee <sp> it was to take the place for the firebird but they said that the american public wasn't ready for a vehicle like this and then Ford came out with the Taurus and it radical design but GM kept building boxes. and then the Japan vehicle came in an kicked there butts.

And to be honest, I would be hard press to buy another Gm Vehicle for two reasons: 1. My Pathfinder really impressed me (only complaint lack of Power; use to my xtreme 4.3L w/ about 200hp). 2. GM pissed me off when they discontinue the s-series and went to that piece of junk 5 cylinder engine in the colorado. 3. They messed up the look of the fullsize truck(but heard from a saleman in my car club that gm is going change it again because of all the complaints (at least the GMC doesn'y look that bad).

But that just my .02.

well we have had a couple of dodges but never had any real problems with them, cept for a van we had that had the tranny go out on it. other than some problems with their trannys they build pretty good vehicals. the engines in the dodges we had were pretty reliable, no problems at all. on the other had we also owned a old 82 lincoln that was nothing but problems, transmission went out, then went buggy after a replacement, then the engine had uneven idles and bogged, then electric problems ect. just to many problems. we parked it at a storage facility and never looked back. almost every chevy my family has owned was a complete POS, cavaliar , never worked right from the factory. even the s-10s, my uncle has one that actualy dies going down hill. a green camero, engine problems that were never solved. thats why i nevered like chevy, i guess we were just cursed with problems with them. the one brand ive never really have problems with was Nissan and thats why i got a Pathfinder. my uncle in mexico has had 2 HB pickups and now owns a Pathfinder (2door version 4x4 of PWNAGE LOL). those HBs has been thru floods, droughts, loaded down with luggage, loaded with cut stone, dirt, sand, tons of peaple and that little 4cylinder just keep chuggin along. they are little fighters they are. people come up from south america and regulary get 2 or three of those suckers and tie em togather end to end and drive them all the way back. the first time i saw that i was like "wtf? :blink: "

the one big problem i had with my pathy was the transmission, it broke but was still drivable. no codes came up and the reverse still worked. when i took it in the guy was like "how were you driving this?" i was like i dunno magic?

myimpalasucks.com/

BigMike, I feel you there. My 85 Nissan 4x4 with 255K miles was sold to a group of Mexican immigrants who came over from Wenatchee, WA. They were more than proud of that beastly truck and I'm sure it has treated them well. Stock as can be, minus some trimmed fenders and 31's riding beneath. That's some appreciation of a solidly built truck. I can just about guaruntee you that old truck is still tooling around over there with 300K+ miles, if its taken care of.

Not to be too negative, but I had an 83 Toyota pickup 4x that got stolen. I thought it would show up too, and eventually it did. TRASHED. Completely totalled. I loved that little truck, built like a tank. I took that thing to some pretty brutal trails with now more than a 2" lift, and some 33's. Forget about the "new" American truck. Hell, you could buy another Pathy, off-road mod the crap out of it, SAS and everything for less than you'll probably pay for a "newer" truck to begin with. Besides, you probably already know alot about the Pathy, why start over? BTW, If you love your ride, get an alarm, and a baseball bat. At least you can come out swingin when someone's snooping!

Earth1

Personally I think alot of the probs with American iron is the fact that Detroit very seldom ever follow a design out (other than the ubiquitous small-block Fords & Chevys). Think about it ~ they're constantly coming out with something that's "all new for (name the year)". Toyota's been building on the Camry for what ? 25+ years ? Porsche has built their 900 series since 1965, Honda has it's Prelude, yadda, yadda, yadda. All of them refined to where they're virtually bulletproof. Planned obsolesence is Detroit's mainstay ~ it dies, you buy a new one... losing 10 large the first year. :contract:

It takes years & years to refine a total engineering package, you can't just keep coming out with another one every 3-5 years. To me it's more a "sucker" deal for the "one up on the Joneses" people that have to have the latest & supposedly greatest. If Detroit cared more about reliability & quality than 6-way power ashtrays & 42 cupholders in their "Limited Edition" Loony Tunes minivan, you might see me in one (except an Aztec, of course :oops: ). Until that day they can kiss my a$$... :X

Really pay attention the next time you're out driving ~ take a note on how many GM (any brand) vehicles, whether they're truck, car, SUV, whatever, that have paint peeling off of them at 3 years old. Read the classifieds, how many 1990's Detroit rigs in there that have 125,000 miles or less that also have "new engine" or "new tranny" in the ad ? -study-

-->straight 6 what were they thinking!

A straight 6 will put out more torque than a V6, ask any BMW owner or Supra owner (me). :aok:

plus strait sixes are inherently balanced, Cummings disele (god i cant spell) is a strait six and look at it, producing more hp and torque than comprable engines. supras produce mad hp when twin turboed, i gotta find this article of this crazy supra that had over 1000 hp at the wheels. its the best one ive ever seen, and i dont like them that much.

as for detroit, the average CEO of those auto makers are there for about 4 years, so they have no real incentrive to do long term research or development. its more like they create fads in automotive. not really advancing but still doing something. Nissan has had such success with thier VG series engine because of their constant upgrades and research. for 10 years they have been ranked for the number one engine in reliability and overall preformance. if they treat the new 4L engine with the same rational and ideology i bet they will have a nother page in the books.

Nissan 3.5L DOHC V-6

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s sublime 3.5L "VQ" V-6 needs no introduction, being that it's won a 10 Best Engines award each and every year since the competition's inception in 1995. That the VQ has cemented itself as the dominant V-6 benchmark is without question - a decade after its introduction, the VQ, amazingly, remains the admitted development target of rivals who will discuss such details.

"No doubt about it, the Nissan V-6 is the 600-lb. gorilla of V-6s," says a competing powertrain engineer.

Rarely has the industry seen such a seminal design. Equally extraordinary, subsequent generations have not lost the edge that made the original VQ 3L variant stand head and shoulders above its contemporaries.

Only now are competitors beginning to approach the alluring combination of power and refinement that have been VQ bywords since its launch.

Continual upgrades and detail refinements have kept the VQ at the top of the heap, particularly in terms of power and torque. Honda's 3L V-6 - also a 10 Best Engines award winner for 2004 - surpasses some variants of Nissan's VQ in specific output, but the VQ's demonstrated flexibility means there are so many variants, in such a variety of vehicle applications, that the VQ's power and specific output figures now are widely spaced.

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine type: 3.5L 60-degree DOHC V-6

Displacement (cc): 3,498

Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum

Bore x stroke (mm): 95.5 x 81.4

Horsepower (SAE net): 260 @ 6,000 rpm

Torque: 260 lb.-ft. (353 Nm) @ 4,800 rpm

Specific output: 74 hp/L

Compression ratio: 10.3:1

Application tested: Infiniti G35 sedan

Fuel economy for tested vehicle (EPA city/highway mpg): 20/27

Crisp, No-Nonsense Power

the aztek is ugly bar NONE, come on what were they thinking? :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest armelius

There isn't too many american trucks I would own. Maybe a Ford or an C10 or C20 circa 1972.

The reason their parts are so cheap is because they are all in the junk yards. My 87 pathy is dated on the inside but sure looks good on the outside. American trucks look five years behind the times on the inside with big floppy knobs for people with overweight hands.

229k miles and it's still going strong with a tight 4x4.

Auto tranny had developed a gash, wiper motor quit, water pump went sour, and need to fix that water temp gage but after all those fixed I am still running in a good looking car. Can't say I see many 87's of other brands out there though I did see I nice 57 chevy bel air today and it's bigness sure reminded me of a SUV.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it back 35 days later ICBC~eeyahoff tried to replace the window said gonna be 400 dollars for the passenger triangle one? ROFLLOLOL I told the freak to send it home. Next oh the keys are in transit so i will have to send you a screwdriver to start it? WTF:blink:

Anyways got it started it with the screwdriver and got it aircared/ replaced the window from autowreckers for 30 bucks. 2 seconds to replace.. And now driving it and looking for the gears to do it up.

2005 going to be the 350-383 conversion i think 1000%

But first need rear coils for the 3 inch lift/ body blocks/ aArm 3 inch lift[questioning 88offroad i am 100% that i saw him with something new and different?]

This year i am painting it and tinting the windows like a volvo i just saw 2 days ago sweet new style of tint...