Timing BELT or CHAIN?

rrxx007

I've been doing some research but all I've got is more confused. I have a 2002 pathfinder 2wd auto, in this truck is it a timing belt or a timing chain?? If its a belt Im planing on replacing it now along with the water pump and other components that will fail in the future so that I dont have to touch it again for some good time other than for normal maintenance. The odo is reading 97,000 and its my DD traveling some 20-30 miles daily and often stuck in rush-hour, plus the climate here is always hot and dusty.

The timing chain "should" last the life of the vehicle, so unless it's making excessive noise I wouldn't touch it. I also wouldn't replace the water pump until it fails - mine is still fine at 131k miles. My entire cooling system is original for that matter, except the overflow hose.

3.5l is a timing chain(as well as the 4.0 in later model).

3.3l is timing belt

3.0 is timing belt

2.4 is timing chain

You're talking in respect to all the r50 models? Because correct me if I'm wrong, I think the 2002 models only came with a 3.5l v6

3.5l is a timing chain(as well as the 4.0 in later model).

3.3l is timing belt

3.0 is timing belt

2.4 is timing chain

You're talking in respect to all the r50 models? Because correct me if I'm wrong, I think the 2002 models only came with a 3.5l v6

5523Pathfinder was listing multiple common Nissan engines. The 3.5l VQ is what a 2002 Pathfinder would have. Earlier Pathfinders had the 3.3, and even earlier ones had the 3.0. Some nissan trucks and other cars used the 2.4l KA, which also had a timing chain.

Timing chains SHOULD last the "life" of the vehicle, but the life of a Nissan vehicle is much longer than the lift of an average vehicle. Generally, timing chains last 200k+ miles. But even then, they only stretch and warp in minute amounts. More than likely, your timing chain guides will be gone long before that. At 99k miles you shouldn't really have to do much at all.

Edited by 1994SEV6

5523Pathfinder was listing multiple common Nissan engines. The 3.5l VQ is what a 2002 Pathfinder would have. Earlier Pathfinders had the 3.3, and even earlier ones had the 3.0. Some nissan trucks and other cars used the 2.4l KA, which also had a timing chain.

Timing chains SHOULD last the "life" of the vehicle, but the life of a Nissan vehicle is much longer than the lift of an average vehicle. Generally, timing chains last 200k+ miles. But even then, they only stretch and warp in minute amounts. More than likely, your timing chain guides will be gone long before that. At 99k miles you shouldn't really have to do much at all.

Apparently mine is a 3.3l and it is in fact a timing belt but its still in good condition for a few miles !

I often wonder about "lifetime" timing chains. Sure, the chain might last a long, long time, but what about the plastic guides?

To me, it wreaks of "we don't feel like making this serviceable, and the vehicle will be out of warranty long before it matters".

Belts or chains make no difference. You still have to service either one. It's exactly like the lie they put out that catalytic converters last a life time and they don't. The plastic chain guides do wear out. On newer Nissans they wear out much quicker too. Personally, I like timing belts way more than I do timing chains. They are quiet and don't need an oil bath. Sure they have a slightly lower recommended interval than chains do but it's nice to always have new parts too.

Belts or chains make no difference. You still have to service either one.

Man, after my timing jumped from mud getting pushed up into the timing belt chamber, I have to dissagree. A chain would not skip a cog as easily as the rubber belt with dried up clogs of dirt.

They have those sealing timing belt/chain covers for a reason. How did you manage to pack your timing belt with mud? If you drove through @!*% that deep you were asking for it.

Nope... That is one expensive sig.

That's the kind of a pit you want to hit in a jacked up larger truck with larger tires. The R50 is meant for actually enjoying the outdoors and not ripping through mud holes like a maniac. :whistle:

Nope... That is one expensive sig.

That's the kind of a pit you want to hit in a jacked up larger truck with larger tires. The R50 is meant for actually enjoying the outdoors and not ripping through mud holes like a maniac. :whistle:

Trust me, lesson learned (or is it learnt?). :friday:

Man, after my timing jumped from mud getting pushed up into the timing belt chamber, I have to dissagree. A chain would not skip a cog as easily as the rubber belt with dried up clogs of dirt.

They have those sealing timing belt/chain covers for a reason. How did you manage to pack your timing belt with mud? If you drove through @!*% that deep you were asking for it.

I agree, your timing cover is completely sealed. Mine was mudded like that and there was nothing under the timing covers when I took them off recently.

I agree, your timing cover is completely sealed. Mine was mudded like that and there was nothing under the timing covers when I took them off recently.

I know that it should be completely sealed but ...

400475206.jpg

398529964.jpg

Belts or chains make no difference. You still have to service either one. It's exactly like the lie they put out that catalytic converters last a life time and they don't. The plastic chain guides do wear out. On newer Nissans they wear out much quicker too. Personally, I like timing belts way more than I do timing chains. They are quiet and don't need an oil bath. Sure they have a slightly lower recommended interval than chains do but it's nice to always have new parts too.

Why do you think you have to service a timing chain as a part of regular maintenance? Nowhere, be it the FSM, or Owners manual is there any mention of timing chain maintenance on a 2002 Pathfinder. You're spouting crap as facts again. You're getting very close to having your posts put on moderator approval because of this stuff. Knock it off.

ANY part will fail given an infinite amount of time/mileage. That doesn't mean it becomes part of a regular maintenance schedule. There is a difference. Unless there is a suspected problem, the timing chain is left alone.

Apparently mine is a 3.3l and it is in fact a timing belt but its still in good condition for a few miles !

How have you come to the conclusion that yours has the 3.3L motor? I've never heard of that in a 2002 R50.

If you do, in fact have a timing belt, don't be fooled by a timing belt that appears to be in good condition. The defects in them due to wear can be hard to see. If you're not sure if it's ever been changed, and you're near the interval, change it out.

Why do you think you have to service a timing chain as a part of regular maintenance? Nowhere, be it the FSM, or Owners manual is there any mention of timing chain maintenance on a 2002 Pathfinder. You're spouting crap as facts again. You're getting very close to having your posts put on moderator approval because of this stuff. Knock it off.

ANY part will fail given an infinite amount of time/mileage. That doesn't mean it becomes part of a regular maintenance schedule. There is a difference. Unless there is a suspected problem, the timing chain is left alone.

Someone got off on the wrong foot again? The FSM may not mention anything about timing chains but that doesn't mean the chain doesn't wear out. Timing chains have much longer service intervals than timing belts do but the guides will more than likely wear out first before the chain does. I saw and heard it happen before (Google it if you don't believe me). It really depends on the vehicle but you will hear some fun noises once the chain guides start wearing out. When that happens you have to service the timing chain as well as the guides. The only exception from this is vehicles that don't use chain guides.

For the record: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2006-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/299095-timing-chain-replacement-vq35.html

Edited by Tungsten

Man, you talk about service interval. That's considered maintenance. A timing chain doesn't have a service interval. I never said they don't wear out, or don't break. But if they do it's a repair, not maintenance. Timing belt replacement is part of regularly scheduled maintenance. You're mincing words to try to suit your nonsense claims. Knock it off.

The timing belt cover is supposed to be more-or-less sealed, but I noticed on mine that there is a small drain pathway at the bottom of it. In my case, it is permitting oil from the main seal to leak out and down instead of staying inside the belt area and ruining the belt. If things can get out this way, then I'm sure that they can get in, too.

The timing belt cover is supposed to be more-or-less sealed, but I noticed on mine that there is a small drain pathway at the bottom of it. In my case, it is permitting oil from the main seal to leak out and down instead of staying inside the belt area and ruining the belt. If things can get out this way, then I'm sure that they can get in, too.

That's interesting, I will have to check it out now. Usually oil isn't supposed to be leaking in there anyway but I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan thought it might.

Man, you talk about service interval. That's considered maintenance. A timing chain doesn't have a service interval. I never said they don't wear out, or don't break. But if they do it's a repair, not maintenance. Timing belt replacement is part of regularly scheduled maintenance. You're mincing words to try to suit your nonsense claims. Knock it off.

Yes I see what you're saying now. The timing chain indeed does not have a service interval listed and it's supposed to be a lifetime part (which we all know it isn't). I swear, some mechanics will recommend replacing the chain at 200,000 miles as maintenance. It's just a case of conflicting view points at this point. There are tons of TSBs though telling you to replace the guides. http://www.ehow.com/facts_8041291_replace-nissan-frontier-timing-chain.html

I find it weird how they don't list the chain guides as an interval as they SHOULD be considered a maintenance item but aren't. I guess the mileage they are supposed to be replaced at (or at least the manufacturer of the engine hopes so) is too high for anyone to even bother. :shrug: Maybe at that point you are required to just rebuild the engine anyway? :lol:

Edited by Tungsten

I have a 2002 pathfinder 2wd auto

I was under the impression that in 2001, all North America Pathfinders were equipped with the VQ35? I highly recommend you verify what motor you have.

There should be a plaque on your firewall tucked to the far passenger side, in the engine compartment. About 1/2 way down it will say "Engine Type"...

B