What did I do?

Danger

So, I changed the cap and rotor, everything was going fine. But when I went to start it, it clicked once and nothing happened. After playing with the new rotor, because I know it has to line up properly with everything, I got the truck started again. Let it sit overnight. Today I went to start it because I work soon and nothing, the clock goes dead and the power in the truck is lost. I take off the negative cable, played with the cap a little bit, re-attach the negative cable and it starts..... By play with the cap I mean I hit it with the side of my hand and cursed it out.

In the back of my mind I'm hoping I don't have to pull the distributor and reset everything to TDC, it was working fine example prior to me changing it, just trying to do preventative maintenance.

IF you are just clicking and not cranking over, its not the distributor. I would check to make sure both battery cables are clean and tight. You might be having a starter or relay going out. Have another person try and start it so you can trace where the clicking is coming from.

Had a buddy at the engine while I was tryin to start it yesterday. He sad there was a small puff of smoke off the negative battery terminal when it clicked. The click, I'm not sure where that was from. But from what you said maybe its just cables. I'll try that out. Thanks.

Yep, check the connection at the battery terminals and also follow the negative cable behind the battery to where it connects to the chassis. Disconnect and clean the contact surfaces, and do the same farther down where it goes to the engine block. Clean battery connections don't help without good connections at the other end...

B

• Like 1

Yep, check the connection at the battery terminals and also follow the negative cable behind the battery to where it connects to the chassis. Disconnect and clean the contact surfaces, and do the same farther down where it goes to the engine block. Clean battery connections don't help without good connections at the other end...

B

these words, my voice as well

these words, my voice as well

I argued this with a guy the other day. He had a broken battery terminal ( I could see it spark and smoke)but he insisted it needed a boost. I bet his car(Kia) is still sitting there because he knew better.

Edited by kdj

I argued this with a guy the other day. He had a broken battery terminal ( I could see it spark and smoke)but he insisted it needed a boost. I bet his car(Kia) is still sitting there because he knew better.

You gotta love idiots that always know better. (we have one here) They are a good source of entertainment though.

James

Well after cleaning and really clamping down the negative the truck seems to be starting better. At least it did at 3am after work. Thank you to everyone.