So here is my plan . . .

drewp29

Yep. I ordered those and my AC springs from 4x4 parts.com. I'm actually surprised that the shock price wasn't out of line with what's on the net.

Yeah 4x4parts price is actually quite good for those. So I'll probably order them and the springs at the same time. The GR2 (Excel-G) are a bit more expensive than other places, so I'll get those elsewhere.

Yeah 4x4parts price is actually quite good for those. So I'll probably order them and the springs at the same time. The GR2 (Excel-G) are a bit more expensive than other places, so I'll get those elsewhere.

4x4 parts looks to have added a homemade metal sleeve into the shock box, I am assuming they make it so that shock will fit the pathy.

Looks like the shock specs for the 24-185509 bilstein part have the correct compressed and extended lengths for a 2" lifted Pathy. Those or the 5125's I mentIoned earlier will work. However, I am not sure what the 185509 valving is like. The 255/70 valving on my 5150's provides a nice, firm ride and the rear does not jounce up and down much over freeway expansion joints. If the 185509 valving is lower, you may have more jounce especially if the rear is full of cargo.

Holy Shnikes Batman! So I got out to the garage today to grease my driveshafts and u-joints, hoping they would calm down the vibration issue I have had recently and I exploded the newly purchased grease gun. They had barely tightened the handle that you pull back to load the grease tube, and I had already taken the front cap off, so as I was pulling back I gave a little twist and KAPOW I shot the plunger to the other side of the garage! After wasting an hour putting it back together due to my jacked up right wrist I finally got the tube loaded and got under the Pathy.

I was looking around and I noticed the connection for the front driveshaft to the front differential only had 3 out of 4 bolts present! Luckily I have some Grade 8 hardware laying around and found the right size bolt. I tightened it up and greased everything up and everything rides SMOOTH now! I think the main difference is the bolt, but the greasing can't have hurt either.

I seriously thought the vibration was the rear diff given the state it is in, but looks like my first thought that it was the front driveshaft was spot on. I didn't notice it missing the last time I was under there, but the bolr was probably on top and out of view.

Anyway . . . I am extremely happy that DAMN vibration is gone now! :itsallgood:

Edited by drewp29

Wait they're different than what Xplorer gave me, anyone know why? :scratchhead:

Thanks

-Kyle

I think his are the 5150 series, not the 5100's. Not sure about this though.

I am not sure why the part number XPLORx4 gave for the 5100 series is different, though his comment about valving is true. The 255/70 valving on his 5150 series may be different than the ones snow4me received from 4x4parts which could result in an unpredictable ride in the rear. However, no one on these forums that has purchased the 5100 Bilsteins from 4x4parts seems to have any complaints, so perhaps the valving is correct for the ones they sell.

I guess the only way to determine the valving on the 24-185509 would be to ask Bilstein . . .

The part number I gave is for the 5125 series, with 255/70 valviing. The 24-185509 is for the vehicle-specific 5100 series, and has approximately the same dimensions as the one I linked to, though the valving might be different, because the 185509 is intended to be installed on a Ford Ranger. The 185509 didn't specify the valving, so if you want to be sure what it is, contact Bilstein or a reputable Bilstein distributor/retailer.

I have 5150's with 255/70 valving on my AC 2" lifted Pathfinder, and the handling is superb.

Edited by XPLORx4

The part number I gave is for the 5125 series, with 255/70 valviing. The 24-185509 is for the vehicle-specific 5100 series, and has approximately the same dimensions as the one I linked to, though the valving might be different, because the 185509 is intended to be installed on a Ford Ranger. The 185509 didn't specify the valving, so if you want to be sure what it is, contact Bilstein or a reputable Bilstein distributor/retailer.

I have 5150's with 255/70 valving on my AC 2" lifted Pathfinder, and the handling is superb.

Now im all kinds of confused.

I think im lost at the valving side of the conversation, is that what the different model number signify between the 5100's, 5125's, and 5150's?

and if i call Bilstein, what am i asking for? what will work for a lifted pathfinder?

Thanks

sorry for the billion questions.

-Kyle

If you want 5150's with 255/70 valving, part number is 25-186307.

If you want 5125's with 255/70 valving, part number is 33-185552.

If you want 5100's for affordability, and you don't care about the valving, get 24-185509.

All part numbers above have about the same lengths: ~16" compressed, ~26" extended. Therefore, all 3 are compatible with the 2" lift.

If you contact Bilstein, all you need to ask them about the 24-185509 is what valving it has. If it's lower (such as 170/60) that will probably be underdamped and you'll get a lot of jounce if you load the cargo area full of stuff, carry passengers in the rear seat, or tow.

I had a pair of Rancho 9000's (p/n 999012) that couldn't be mounted upside-down and the right shock got dented from the panhard rod mount. (The 999012's were also horribly undervalved, even at max damping, the rear would bounce a lot over freeway expansion joints.)

Speaking from experience, the Bilstein's 255/70 valving works well on my 2"-lifted Pathfinder. I opted for the 5150's because I wanted to be certain I could mount them upside-down (shock body on top) to avoid interference with the panhard rod mount.

If you want 5150's with 255/70 valving, part number is 25-186307.

If you want 5125's with 255/70 valving, part number is 33-185552.

If you want 5100's for affordability, and you don't care about the valving, get 24-185509.

All part numbers above have about the same lengths: ~16" compressed, ~26" extended. Therefore, all 3 are compatible with the 2" lift.

If you contact Bilstein, all you need to ask them about the 24-185509 is what valving it has. If it's lower (such as 170/60) that will probably be underdamped and you'll get a lot of jounce if you load the cargo area full of stuff, carry passengers in the rear seat, or tow.

I had a pair of Rancho 9000's (p/n 999012) that couldn't be mounted upside-down and the right shock got dented from the panhard rod mount. (The 999012's were also horribly undervalved, even at max damping, the rear would bounce a lot over freeway expansion joints.)

Speaking from experience, the Bilstein's 255/70 valving works well on my 2"-lifted Pathfinder. I opted for the 5150's because I wanted to be certain I could mount them upside-down (shock body on top) to avoid interference with the panhard rod mount.

Appreciate the straight forward answer, but is valving something should care about?

From what your telling me the valving sounds like it controls, rebound?

I'll do a quick google, but do you know of a place that explains all of this is a simple way?

Thanks

-Kyle

Appreciate the straight forward answer, but is valving something should care about?

From what your telling me the valving sounds like it controls, rebound?

I'll do a quick google, but do you know of a place that explains all of this is a simple way?

Thanks

-Kyle

Yes, valving is something you should care about. The size of the valve determines how much damping force the shock applies. Valving can control both compression and rebound separately. The 255/70 rating of certain Bilstein shocks refers to the compression damping force and the rebound damping force.

Check these links out:

http://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valve-ratings.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7457510_read-bilstein-shock-numbers.html

Yes, valving is something you should care about. The size of the valve determines how much damping force the shock applies. Valving can control both compression and rebound separately. The 255/70 rating of certain Bilstein shocks refers to the compression damping force and the rebound damping force.

Check these links out:

http://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valve-ratings.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7457510_read-bilstein-shock-numbers.html

Sweet, thanks for resources, and i called my local Bilstein dealer, he basically said exactly what you were saying, when money comes in for the lift, i know exactly what im looking for.

So thanks again

-Kyle