Idle jumps around

Firehawk

OK, last month I noticed the truck did not want to hold a steady idle about 1/2 the time I was driving it. Sometimes it was just fine, other times it would constantly bounce from 200ish to 1K. Example, I went 2 miles to the store earlier today. On the way no issues. I get back in after 5 min and the idle danced around until I got back to my place. Well Friday it actually died on me a few times rolling to a stop. engine runs fine, just the idle is the issue.

On my car if I had this issue I would look for a vac leak and if none then the idle air control motor would be suspect. However after looking in my books I can only find an idle speed adjustment and no sensor that does this function. What should I do now? Not sure how this engine and computer adjusts the idle~ Not sure what to look at/ replace :?

Thanks!

First, go to the Garage section and download the FSM from the pinned thread.

Next, check the ECU for codes (write up in the Garage/How To section).

Third, check for vacuum leaks with an aerosol spray (wd40, brake cleaner, etc)

What did you find?

B

No Check Engine Light, I will go dl the FSM and see if I can pull any codes. Will report back! :handlebars:\

edit: It looks like it's required to remove the pass seat to gain access to the PCM? That's quite a bit of work just to pull codes!

Edited by Firehawk

No Check Engine Light, I will go dl the FSM and see if I can pull any codes. Will report back! :handlebars:\

edit: It looks like it's required to remove the pass seat to gain access to the PCM? That's quite a bit of work just to pull codes!

Better then having to buy an actual code reader which you would have to do on other vehicles but yeh as tungsten said just slide the seat foreward.

I've heard that you can just slide it forward... I pull mine out so I can see what I'm doing. It's four bolts (and a plug if you've got heated seats), not too difficult.

Mine had the same issue a while back. It would work just fine until it warmed up, at which point the computer would start referencing sensors, clearly something was faulty, because it started twitching out (dipping and surging, stalling at stop signs, the works). Never did figure out what was wrong... but my dad and I messed with the TPS and MAF plugs, packed them with dielectric grease, and bumped the intake around a bit, and it hasn't acted up since. I suspect the TPS plug or wiring was the issue, though when I took it apart it was totally clean inside. I never checked for codes, but it never triggered the CEL.