Help torsion bar adjusters

ryanw1

Hi guys I need some help here. I just had the Heavy duty, after-market torsion bars with 30% higher spring rate. Installed and I drove it about 75 miles before the adjuster striped out doping my car to the ground. The shop my car was towed to is saying i need to buy "high performance adjusters" witch i dont even think exists. Is this true or did they mess something up. Will the factory adjusters work? Any input or any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

Edited by ryanw1

What part of the adjuster mechanism failed? It could be that the higher spring rate fatigued the 17 year old adjusting bolt? I can say this isn't a normal occurance. Is there any significant rust on your vehicle?

B

What part of the adjuster mechanism failed? It could be that the higher spring rate fatigued the 17 year old adjusting bolt? I can say this isn't a normal occurance. Is there any significant rust on your vehicle?

B

The splines on the inside of the adjuster striped, thank god the torsion bar splines are fine. Theres almost zero rust on my path. The bolt was intact it didnt break and no threads where stretched or stripped. I talked to the guys at 4x4parts to see there opinion on the matter and they said it was most likely due to incorrect installation or over tensioning. They where shocked when I told them what happened. I believe the shop that did my work F***ed something up big time.

I believe the shop that did my work F***ed something up big time.

I think this is a pretty good assumption. I F***ed mine up getting the old Torsion bar out. I know you said you have zero rust, but in my case the drivers side torsion bar was absolutely seized into the adjuster. Lots of penetrating oil left to sit over night and a BFH eventually got it out, but it took a couple of the splines with it. I still drove it for a while, but I'm currently looking for a replacement. Did you happen to notice if the dust boot was was in good shape and on the torsion bar before you took it in. It could make a difference in how hard they had to try to get it out.

I think this is a pretty good assumption. I F***ed mine up getting the old Torsion bar out. I know you said you have zero rust, but in my case the drivers side torsion bar was absolutely seized into the adjuster. Lots of penetrating oil left to sit over night and a BFH eventually got it out, but it took a couple of the splines with it. I still drove it for a while, but I'm currently looking for a replacement. Did you happen to notice if the dust boot was was in good shape and on the torsion bar before you took it in. It could make a difference in how hard they had to try to get it out.

i believe the dust boot was missing. i did find the parts online.

54210-31G10

54211-31G10

My link

I haven't had that problem but when I had my hardbody one time a tranny shop put the bars back in and only had the lockdown nut on top, and when turning into where I live the nut let go and the bolt and the half round block fell out, good thing I had the 2 stage bars as the secondary adjuster kept the fender off the tire.

You don't need a special HD adjuster. Even with stiffer T-bars the forces felt at the adjuster are the same, your suspension just moves less. It especially shoudnt have failed just driving down the road. Sometimes things get f-d up coming apart especially in a 20 year old machine. Any decent mechanic should have seen that and told you that you needed a new one. Unless you drove your Pathy off a 3 foot drop before it failed it is 99% the shop screwing up.

The splines on the inside of the adjuster striped, thank god the torsion bar splines are fine. Theres almost zero rust on my path. The bolt was intact it didnt break and no threads where stretched or stripped. I talked to the guys at 4x4parts to see there opinion on the matter and they said it was most likely due to incorrect installation or over tensioning. They where shocked when I told them what happened. I believe the shop that did my work F***ed something up big time.

Wow, the splines stripped? I wonder if the splines were properly engaged. Can you tell if the failed adjuster splines are stripped for the length of the splines or just part of it? I seem to recall that everything has to be seated properly to get everything to line up though (been a while). Perhaps it was just a fatigued part...

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it happening again.

B

You don't need a special HD adjuster. Even with stiffer T-bars the forces felt at the adjuster are the same, your suspension just moves less. It especially shoudnt have failed just driving down the road. Sometimes things get f-d up coming apart especially in a 20 year old machine. Any decent mechanic should have seen that and told you that you needed a new one. Unless you drove your Pathy off a 3 foot drop before it failed it is 99% the shop screwing up.

yeah they def have no idea what there doing I brought them new adjusters they installed them and as soon as it was out the shop I took a quick look and noticed that they didn't put on the C clips, like wtf are they dumb or what. After this experience I know more about torsion bars and the adjusters than they do

Wow, the splines stripped? I wonder if the splines were properly engaged. Can you tell if the failed adjuster splines are stripped for the length of the splines or just part of it? I seem to recall that everything has to be seated properly to get everything to line up though (been a while). Perhaps it was just a fatigued part...

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it happening again.

B

I will post pics tomorrow I made sure to grab the old adjuster. And it failed for the length man its horrid.

I agree with Desert89. The shop definitely screwed up the installation of the t-bars.

NEVER EVER GOING BACK, not only did they do them wrong they charged me to fix there mistakes. I will do every thing in my power to notify the public about this shop and there negligence.

Edited by ryanw1