Entering the home stretch....

Rebel526

Today I will be tightening bolts/nuts all over the front end and bell housing, and installing the cv axles. Hopefully I will have time to assemble the front hubs and install them, and the wheels. I also have to address the exhaust (missing/broken bolts and wrong gaskets where the cross-over bolts on)....

I plan to drain/refill both diffs, tranny, and transfer case before a road test. Unfortunately, that will have to wait till Friday's paycheck :thumbsdown:

Wish me luck! :rolleyes:

...Sometimes I feel like it's fighting back!! Got passenger front hub completed and assembled but decided to check brake pedal before I mounted the wheel....glad I did...Master Cylinder is toast! :rant2: So...ordered a reman. Should have seen all the goo in the MC, YUCK! Started flushing the brake lines....MC should be in tomorrow.

Well, it drove down the street and back. But MAN! These old dry-rotted tires have GOT to GO! LOL. Also the sway bar bushings and links will be replaced Monday, and new wheel cylinders on the rear, as we found out after the run up the street and back that they are leaking....badly!

That will just leave: Exhaust at collector rusted out, adjust idle, drivers side marker lens assembly, front drive shaft to reattach, change out fluid in transfer case and transmission ( I have 2 gallons of Royal Purple 75-90 for that) ;) . I'd like to get all this done next week so I'll have two weeks to drive it around before I try to take it on a little trip to Atlanta :rolleyes:

The RP is 'GL4 and GL5'. From what I've read, it should be OK. I've hunted all over for a strictly GL4, but NO ONE here seems to have it. :thumbsdown:

If anyone knows different, PLEASE let me know!

From the RP website, FAQ page:

"My vehicle's transmission specifies an API GL-4 gear oil. Can I use Max-Gear? Yes. Max-Gear possesses both API GL-5 and GL-4 certification. Max-Gear is formulated with Royal Purple’s proprietary, Synerlec additive technology to provide the exceptional film strength necessary for GL-5 applications, yet it is noncorrosive to soft metals found in manual transmissions that specify a GL-4 rated lubricant."

Edited by Rebel526

Ya that's the issue we're talking about. a lot of products offer GL-4 and GL-5 oil. You don't want to put anything that rated GL-5 in any way into our tranny's. Its got detergents in it that destroy the bronze components in it. You need to find yourself a GL-4 Oil ONLY. pass on anything rated for both. I know.... a lot more annoying, but better for you to do it right. I know they are claiming its ok, but to me, I'm not interested in taking a chance on it.

Edited by Dowser