2001 Nissan Xterra

NissanNismoZ

Okay, so this truck is leaking tranny fluid, but not bad. Can't determine where it's coming from.

If I drive it like my Pathy, like drive it then let off for it to shift, it slips. Then shifts.

If I drive it kinda hard or steady pedal, it shifts fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

Well, if its slipping, its most likely low on fluid. If it has a leak, then thats why the fluid is low. Find the leak. I would look at the cooler lines at the bottom of the radiator. Check the fluid when the engine is up to temp. Fluid may be burnt also. Check smell and color.

Check the drain plug too, maybe someone forgot to replace the crush washer if they did a drain & fill. The banjo bolts used for the cooler hard lines also have crush washers AFAIK, those might be leaking.

The 2001 Xterra doesn't have a TSB similar to the 2001 R50 shift flare issue, so the culprit is most likely the fluid.

Edited by Towncivilian

Done..and guess what..no leaks??

All I did was try lucas oil and tightening all bolts, such as the bolts to the tranny pan, and the clamps for the transmission cooler..

But it shifts weird compared to Pathy..ok

I'll describe.

Driving normally, if I let up on the gas like coasting, it'll shift down almost immediately. Then driving along it'll shift up, and say around 70mph I'm at 4k rpm??

Any ideas? I'm questioning the TPS

Alright, ran it for a while, it leaked more. Tracked it down to the gasket on the tranny oil pan.. Thanks guys!

I told them about considering a new TPS

Btw the fluid was bright red

Edited by NissanNismoZ