Headers & Exhaust

94 Pathy

I"m taking the 15th of March thru the 25th off from work. Kids will be with the Ex. Gunna try and tackle the headers & exhaust for starters. I have a whole laundry list of things I want to try & get done to the Pathy while I have no kid distractions. I REALLY hope I can get this done in a week. Any voluteers will be welcomed. :tongue:

Did I mention my wife is a chef? We'd grill & feed ya awesome food. :sssh: I haven't mentioned that part to her yet. :rofl:

Will take pics & keep everyone posted.

Thanks all! :beer:

my first time doing exhaust.....Just going to take off exisiting exhaust & manifolds. Put Pacesetter headers on & go from there. Can I just order original parts from Rock Auto & piece together? Just trying to save on paying a shop to do it. Tight budget right now. If I can't just order parts, what do you recommend? Thanks for all your help!

I'm debating on using the can muffler I have(save money) or buy a muffler for a little more thunder? I've purchased a "Thrust" muffler from Advanced Auto Parts in the past for a Ford Ranger I had. Sounded pretty good. Cheap also. I guess my biggest thing would be getting the hangers & things like that to match up with factory spots. I noticed the Oxygen sensor probe is larger then the hole in the headers, so I'll need to carefully drill the hole a little bigger for the probe to slide in so I can thread the sensor in....

I haven't dealt with the PaceMaker headers, I installed Thorley headers and took it to a local exhaust shop for custom piping. They did a good job at a good price.

What I can say is to check the through bore of the headers, some have had poor welds which choked off the inside diameter.

B

I noticed the Oxygen sensor probe is larger then the hole in the headers

Wait!! The hole in the headers should be for the EGR tube, right?

Is your truck lifted? auto or manual? as B said, there have been some issues with the pacesetter headers. I have installed 2 sets of Thorley's, but there are write ups of pacesetter (and thorley) installs on the site that are very useful with good, need-to-know information... and of course, you have US! :crossedwires:

Edited by Slick

I'll do some looking for the write ups tomorrow after work. I'm using PaceSetter Headers. The Pathy has a 3" CALMINI suspension lift. Will be doing a 3" body lift also, once I have some help with it. Once I get the body lift done, then I'll need to take it in & have a shop tuck the exhaust up more.

I really appreciate all the info everyone is giving.

I'll keep ya posted.

Keep in mind the 02 sensor goes into the exhaust pipe after the Y junction and the pipe goes to single. You will have to weld an o2 bung to the pipe. The big hole in the header is for your egr. I just blocked off my egr when I went vg33. Made things a lot easier.

Thanks for the heads up....I was thinking the O2 sensor went into the header. Glad I haven't drilled it for a begger hole. Time to do some major planning to get things straight. Need to get this done ASAP & hopefully easy. I know taking things apart & especially the manifold bolts will be a pain. Thanks again.

I would personally do the body lift first if you plan on doing it anyway. One reason being that it will make your exhaust job that much easier, and two you wont have to have the exhaust changed again later. It's a tight spot under there with no body lift... an extra 3" of room really makes a huge difference for both working with headers and exhaust alike.

I would personally do the body lift first if you plan on doing it anyway. One reason being that it will make your exhaust job that much easier, and two you wont have to have the exhaust changed again later. It's a tight spot under there with no body lift... an extra 3" of room really makes a huge difference for both working with headers and exhaust alike.

X3. Also, I would consider installing heatwrap down on the headers down to the Y pipe before you install. Even with a 2" BL, installing heatwrap after the fact is a PITA. It's really tight on the passenger side, clearance in minimal to all the fuel and brake lines. My pacesetter headers had two ports on the drivers side, one is for the EGR tube and the other (so I'm told) was for some environmental pump that was used on pathfinders in california (somebody please chime in if they know what it's called). It seems to me I needed a metric plug 24mm? to seal this port. The Y pipe on the pacesetters I found to be a problem. Wish it came with flanges instead of clamps. It's not bad the first time it's assembled, but if you have to remove it later to say change the tranny, it's tough to get sealed again without a welder. Mine eventually got beat up enough that I took it to and exhaust shop to build a new Y pipe. Good luck sounds like a good project. Oh yeah, put lots of penetrating oil on your manifold studs, I broke 2 off removing mine.

Make sure you visually inspect ALL headers before installation. There were even horror stories with the cream of the crop Thorley headers having poor welds and cracking. I use that brand and so far they have been good to me. No cracks and no splits.

I'm thinking the only thing I'm scared of is the bolts busting. I'm goingto take the Pathy to a care wash & powerwash the whole vehicle & get in & around the headers to get them cleaned out & also under the body to the body bolts tomorrow. Gunna start spraying the bolts to everything with PB Blaster for the next couple weeks. I hope all goes well & can get those two things done.....also need to put both new high quality professional grade upper ball joints in & try & replace the CV boots if I can get the extra help to get everything done. Too much shiznit to do & not enough time.

Time to read up on the BL that came with the kit & read up on what others have ran across also.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info.

:beer:

• 1 year later...

Got my Magnaflow Cat and muffler today in the mail. I also have my new exhaust studs, gaskets and hardware for when I get some Thorley headers.

My question is, I want to rebuild everything from the cat back now and install the headers at a later date when I have more coin. Is there a preferred place to do the "splice" that would make installation of the headers later easier and/or cheaper? Maybe some type of flange in an appropriate place for mating the 2 halves?

Lemme know if this is an acceptable idea or if I should just stare at them in the corner until I can do the whole system.

Thanks!