How much is too much?

rwd5021

So I finally got a chance to go to the jy today for parts for the r50 and I paid $40 plus tax for a panhard rod, which seemed like a lot to me, but I need it so whatever.. Granted, it's not a "u pull it", I had to ride shotgun in some junk car around the lot trying to spot pathfinders and then point out the part for him to remove it. They also quoted me $40 a piece for the rear coils. Is that too much? They desperately need to be replaced, but that's half the price of brand new ones from AC. I haven't found a panhard rod for sale anywhere else so I just paid what he asked, but I can't decide if I should get the coils there too or put that money towards new ones from AC. Is $40 each too much for junkjard springs?

The non u-pull-it yards around here want on average $25 per spring, the u-pull-it yards want about $20. Is $40 for only the spring or with the strut attached?

And $40 for a stupid metal bar is ridiculous. Sounds like that place is a rip off...

Edited by Kingman

$40 each for just the rear springs. I was kinda thinking that too, but its the only place around here that seems to have r50's. The guy at the front kinda seemed like a douche maybe it'll be someone different tomorrow.

I had not thought of that but tis a great idea, thanks. I may just get these jy ones for now cause I need this thing back on the road ASAP. This was my first time actually buying anything from there, I think he could smell the noob on me.

The guy at the front kinda seemed like a douche maybe it'll be someone different tomorrow.

I seem to generally notice that with counter people at you pull its. I think they try to factor into the price of what your buying, what they think your stealing as well.

The non u-pull-it yards around here want on average $25 per spring, the u-pull-it yards want about $20. Is $40 for only the spring or with the strut attached?

And $40 for a stupid metal bar is ridiculous. Sounds like that place is a rip off...

He is after the rear coils...

I seem to generally notice that with counter people at you pull its. I think they try to factor into the price of what your buying, what they think your stealing as well.

I suspect this, even though I open my tool bag for them, etc. Maybe they get some sort of percentage if they 'sell' over a certain amount? I get eyeballed pretty hard and priced pretty high.

B

Well, it's not even a you pull it, they did it for me. I'm sure there are a lot of theives that go there, I wish I didn't seem like one tho.. But luckily, I went back this morning and there was someone else behind the counter. I paid $20 each instead of 40, got the springs and panhard installed this afternoon and voila, no more axle shifted to the passenger side. It rides so much nicer now, should be good til I have money to lift it.

Well, it's not even a you pull it, they did it for me. I'm sure there are a lot of theives that go there, I wish I didn't seem like one tho.. But luckily, I went back this morning and there was someone else behind the counter. I paid $20 each instead of 40, got the springs and panhard installed this afternoon and voila, no more axle shifted to the passenger side. It rides so much nicer now, should be good til I have money to lift it.

Cool! Fairly cheap and easy, safer too. :aok:

B

Thanks, it is definitely safer now, but I noticed it still feels a bit wobbly when first accelerating and when I let off the gas, I guess bushings are next.

• 4 weeks later...

Pick-N-Pull recently bought out our three Pull-A-Parts.... prices went up 2.5-3x. and the vehicle selection/condition of said vehicle has yet to improve. Though, they did do a HUGE overall of all three yards put in big rock, slightly improved irrigation and leveled them out, one was seriously shaped like a V... super sketchy to work under ANYTHING. But, I used to be able to go wheelin, break a bunch of @!*%, and replace all of it for under $100. Now, I'm nervous to go wheeling cause if I break something, and you usually do everytime!, it's gonna cost me an arm&leg to replace it...

• 3 weeks later...

Junk yards are like flea markets, haggling is part of the fun. They're going to quote you what they think you'll pay and you have to find what they'll take.