Is anybody running 285/75/16 Goodyear DuraTracs on an AC 2" lift?

snow4me

Yea, Unreal huh? That's why I come here, lots of very knowledgeable and very helpful people on here. Some will tell you to use the search function but I will never say that. I come here so I can learn and soon share my knowledge with others, that's what a forum is all about. Who cares if a question has been asked before, what the heck else do I have to do on here. Not much being posted lately, I say the more the merrier. The W21 guys seem to be the angry ones anyhow, sniffing around our little section of the forum, must be 3.5 envy. ;-)

Hey now, don't go painting everyone with the same brush. There are some search nazis here but you're going to get that with any forum dude.

Hey now, don't go painting everyone with the same brush. There are some search nazis here but you're going to get that with any forum dude.

Oh, I was only foolin.

I do have another question for Rick13. You were really still rubbing your 3.75 BS and 285's even with your rear WJ 1" spring adapter and the 4" WJ coils that actually lift it 5.5"?

Edited by snow4me

I liked the idea of everyone posting their set-ups.....just the vitals with no chit chat.....but that never works! If everyone did that then we'd know what fits or rubs or needs trimming, spacers, etc.

I look at it this way, If we can stir up some chat, there are new ideas just waiting to be pulled out of somebody's head. My whole start for this thread was tire choice dictating the need for spacers. With the DuraTracs, there is obviously some benefits due to it's narrow shoulder design. I was thinking that with it's narrow shoulder design it may help with tucking the rear tire using a 3.75 BS instead of the stock 4.25 BS, apparently this is not going to happen from what Rick13 has experienced with this tire and wheel combo. If i see a thread on here I don't like, it's pretty simple, I don't follow it.

I do have another question for Rick13. You were really still rubbing your 3.75 BS and 285's even with your rear WJ 1" spring adapter and the 4" WJ coils that actually lift it 5.5"?

Yep, but it didn't help that my rear axle had pulled pretty far to the driver's side on account of the PHB. I have a feeling that I would have gotten a lot less damage to the driver's rear fender flare if the rear were better aligned.

I installed the 6.5" coils (cut down closer to just over 6") and the PHB drop bracket from KR Fabs. Even though everything is completely straightened, I can still get fender flare rub but it's typically only in an extreme tuck. The good thing is it no longer sounds like the back of my rig is ripping apart.

So, thinking of what you might want to know...the rub on the rear fender flare was actually only on the front portion. The tire (when fully tucked) would hit the bolt heads on the inner portion (but only in the front). So if you are looking at the rear wheel from the driver's side, the outer upper left quadrant is what was rubbing (not the top of the tire as most people picture). So, I was just thinking that if I had adjustable control arms (and maybe a longer drive shaft), the problem might have been fixed that way.

Here is a picture of a pretty good tuck and there is NO RUBBING:

Rear%2520Tuck.jpg

I think with another inch or two of tuck the front part of that tire would have rubbed the front portion of the fender flare.

Just for reference, here is what the other side was doing:

341.jpg

Edited by Rick13

That's really cool! As far as I can figure, the SFD going 6" is about $600 more than just doing the AC 2" lift. Either way, I'm running a 33" DuraTrac. I guess the only other question is mileage. Will the extra 4" in height worsen the gas mileage much over the AC lift with both tires being equal? I know there will be a drop either way but I was just curious about the difference between the two lifts. Thanks again guys for all the input.

P.S. The Adult in me keeps whispering into my ear to just do the AC lift and 31's and be happy. I'm not a rock crawler, just want to be able to have fun at the dunes with the family and maybe some backwoods exploration. Decisions Decisions.

Ill throw in my two cents. I have 33x11's and they dont rub at all. Even without the 2" lift I could drive the streets without rubbing. I do have my 2" lift installed now. The tires are dick cepek mud terrains and the wheels are DC torques 17x9 with 5" bs. With my setup I find it strange that people with 31" rub at all.

Ill throw in my two cents. I have 33x11's and they dont rub at all. Even without the 2" lift I could drive the streets without rubbing. I do have my 2" lift installed now. The tires are dick cepek mud terrains and the wheels are DC torques 17x9 with 5" bs. With my setup I find it strange that people with 31" rub at all.

Can you post a pic of your set-up??

I find it so hard to believe that it doesnt rub anywhere...but each tire is different... :scratchhead:

I want to see a 33" tire with a 5"bs not rub the strut mount

Hard to believe that 1/2" of BS would keep the rear tires from hitting the flares. :-(

01Silvapathy is right. 4.25" is the way to go in the rear. I've got 2" AC, 33's on 3.75"BS. The rear fender flares were the first to go when those tires flexed. If u don't live in rust belt area, u can always take those flares off hahaha... They don't do much good anyway except from looking pretty

IMG01263-20110625-1426.jpg

265f8e6e.jpg

And if I did things over, I would have gotten all 5 rims at once - I still have a stock spare rim with a 33 on it. So, if I blow a front tire, I have to technically change 2 tires instead of just one = lame.

I may purchase a new rim soon, just waiting on a sale.

Rick I'm with you on that one, hahaha... If I get a flat, the plan is to move the spare tire to the rear, then swap the rear tire for the flat one up front

And I think the Dick Cepek/ Mickey Thompson tires are smaller than the others. Like 31" = 30" BFGs or something

Edited by dududuckling

So, do you think I could tuck the 265/75/16 DuraTrac on a 3.75 BS out back? That's a 32".

What is the BS of your wheels? Do you have the same ones as me?

I have the 5 fat spoke ones:

http://gtcarlot.com/data/Nissan/Pathfinder/2001/3735147/Wheel-39142998.html

I tried measuring them, i'm getting 5 3/4" or 6" measured from the inside back to the outside of the wheel where the weight would clip on.

With that math, i'd need 1.5 or 2" wheel spacers?

I want the same tire man... Duratracs are great here in the snowbelt, and awesome in the mud... way better than BFG AT's

• 4 months later...