anyone ordered from TAG?

kodi3482

I do believe they used to be under the name of Kennesaw Mountian Accesoriess? Fab? Products? something like that. Anyways, some have had ok experiences with them, others not so well. Poor turn around time. Poor welds, Poor customer service, as a few examples. You might want to search a bit before deciding, just to be on the safe side.

No, I dont have one and have never delt with the directly. This is what I remember from previous members posting.

Do yourself a favor and do a Google search and see what you come up with. I did. You may not like what you find.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I do believe they used to be under the name of Kennesaw Mountian Accesoriess? Fab? Products? something like that. Anyways, some have had ok experiences with them, others not so well. Poor turn around time. Poor welds, Poor customer service, as a few examples. You might want to search a bit before deciding, just to be on the safe side.

No, I dont have one and have never delt with the directly. This is what I remember from previous members posting.

Do yourself a favor and do a Google search and see what you come up with. I did. You may not like what you find.

thanks for knowing the old name.. lol i woulda never known.. lots of bad rap for them.. i used to do fabrication for a living, but i don't have the tools for it now.. guess its time to buy the tools and fab up my own.. might be the same price in teh end and a whole lot less headache..

its funny after i posted this i was sitting at the gas station and an xterra pulled in next to me with one of thier bumpers.. i didn't like the way it didn't line up with anything.. up/down or sideways...

Ive heard a couple people having som egood round here (JamesRich I believe had a happy experience) but generally have memorys of bad talk around here (MY1PATH sticks in my head) Switching from KMA to TAG was probaly to try to save some face due to the bad rep they were getting beforehand with as stated turn around and some sloppy stuff going out. I don't know what name JamesRich bought under but maby some new high end people changed stuff around some for the better :shrug:

I'm relatively new here so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the user "MichiganAve"(with the awesome QX4) bought their bumper(s) from KMA (now TAG). I would go as far as to assume that the transaction went smoothly, because it was a recommendation to another user. I can't find the thread or post where I saw it but I remember getting the name of the company from that post. I was hoping to use them as well for my bumpers come this summer.

Was there multiple instances of negative feedback for the company? I don't mean to insult anybody but I know sometimes one unhappy customer can tarnish a reputation enough to ruin a Company for good. If you guys can let me in on the bad news I'll save my money for a more reputable fab shop.

Thanks,

Mario

I bought mine back when they were KMA. I read about their delivery problems before so I knew I would have to wait. When I ordered it he told me 6 to 7 weeks. It ended up taking 10 weeks but I'm very happy with the bumper. I have pics from when it was new here.

James

well since theey seem to be iffy at best with thier products, i'm just going to build my own.. i know its not hard. more or less time consuming.... materials are easily gotten as well.. I'm going to close the kma bumper.. maybe not exactly but will be close.. or else i'll borrow my dads wincher opff his jeep, its arb or smittybuilt and clone it..

thanks all

Since you plan to build your own, I know that many people would appreciate if you dimensioned your build and shared it. Some people are strong with fab skills but without design experience. Totally up to you either way, of course.

Good luck. :beer:

B

Since you plan to build your own, I know that many people would appreciate if you dimensioned your build and shared it. Some people are strong with fab skills but without design experience. Totally up to you either way, of course.

Good luck. :beer:

B

time to dig out my old autocad cd's...

i might be able to keep track of it..there will be lots of measurements... although i'm not makin any templates.. considering these bumpers are flat pieces of 3/16" steel tacked and cut at different angles to get the finished product, its super easy anyways.. the welder i have, the torch i do not.. i can almost get a plasma cutter for what a torch costs nowdays too.. decisions decisions.. :/

the front winch plate looks like the starting point and they are built out from that. once the outer skin is tacked and shaped whichever way its wanted, then it needs fitted to the pathy and mounts made, the mounts will be the challenging part. once thats figured out, reinforce the outer skin on the inside, weld it all up and bam, bumper.. i have a xrc10 winch at my disposal for measurements too along with my pathy..

i think the reason tag's bumpers are off a little bit this way and that way, is that they weld it all up too fast and in doing so the steel flexes when it gets hot. that will cause the 1/8th and 1/4" problems i read about.. poor skills imo..

i might be able to keep track of it..there will be lots of measurements... although i'm not makin any templates.. considering these bumpers are flat pieces of 3/16" steel tacked and cut at different angles to get the finished product, its super easy anyways.. the welder i have, the torch i do not.. i can almost get a plasma cutter for what a torch costs nowdays too.. decisions decisions.. :/

the front winch plate looks like the starting point and they are built out from that. once the outer skin is tacked and shaped whichever way its wanted, then it needs fitted to the pathy and mounts made, the mounts will be the challenging part. once thats figured out, reinforce the outer skin on the inside, weld it all up and bam, bumper.. i have a xrc10 winch at my disposal for measurements too along with my pathy..

i think the reason tag's bumpers are off a little bit this way and that way, is that they weld it all up too fast and in doing so the steel flexes when it gets hot. that will cause the 1/8th and 1/4" problems i read about.. poor skills imo..

good thing about building your own is that knowone will have the one you have...good luck, its a lot of fun

i might be able to keep track of it..there will be lots of measurements... although i'm not makin any templates.. considering these bumpers are flat pieces of 3/16" steel tacked and cut at different angles to get the finished product, its super easy anyways..

LOL, I didn't quite mean to a 3D CAD level, but there's nothing wrong with that! :D

If you like, I can help on the CAD front, I have a version that I need to prectice with. If nothing else, just the mounting portion and primary bends should be enough to get most people started. :aok:

B

LOL, I didn't quite mean to a 3D CAD level, but there's nothing wrong with that! :D

If you like, I can help on the CAD front, I have a version that I need to prectice with. If nothing else, just the mounting portion and primary bends should be enough to get most people started. :aok:

B

well i shouldn't have any bends at all.. the mounts can be cut out of flat plate and reinforced a litte.. maybe i should just make cardboard templates of the mounts and mail them out :) might be easiest

How ever you would like to do it, I just know people often ask for a design or mount set up and it is hard to get most of the time. I have an ARB bumper that I need to remove to install the winch, at which time, I need to try to dimension it as per requests.

B

I put pictures up of the mounts for mine somewhere around here. It would be hard to diminution the mounts as they are curved. Someone good at fabbing should be able to take the pics and go from there just measuring how it would fit their truck. My bumper design looks like they make a generic bumper meant to fit any small truck and then make mounts for the different vehicles.

James

I put pictures up of the mounts for mine somewhere around here. It would be hard to diminution the mounts as they are curved. Someone good at fabbing should be able to take the pics and go from there just measuring how it would fit their truck. My bumper design looks like they make a generic bumper meant to fit any small truck and then make mounts for the different vehicles.

James

i saw those pics somewhere here but can't find them now, lol.. i can cut the curved shape out of a flat piece with a plasma cutter :dance:

i saw those pics somewhere here but can't find them now, lol.. i can cut the curved shape out of a flat piece with a plasma cutter :dance:

009resized-1.jpg

008resize.jpg

007resized-2.jpg

004resized-2.jpg

003resized-1.jpg

Here you go. Yes my camera was acting stupid in the first pic. I have spacers between the mount and frame because the bumper was hitting the grill. I guess they never made a mount for a truck with no body lift. In the fourth pic you can see the blank tabs they have going back half way to where the factory bumper mount bolted up at. I just put the factory mounts back in and bolted them to the blank tabs. You can see that in the last pic. I had to cut the 2 inch hole that the battery cables are coming out of too. It's a very solid mount setup, I can drag the truck with the wheels locked and it doesn't flex at all.

James