Swerves when accelerating

Mauitrailguy

Both of you are somewhere out in left field. 1994SEV6, you're actually somewhere on the next block, you sure you're posting in the correct topic?

Inspect all the link bushings in the back. I'm fairly certain there is a post about this in the garage section.

• Like 4

Both of you are somewhere out in left field. 1994SEV6, you're actually somewhere on the next block, you sure you're posting in the correct topic?

um...if he was in 4wd, and one of the hubs didn't lock then one of the front wheels would experience less resistance and swerve that direction. Also, if you are in 4wd and you are in desperate need of an alignment, then you will swerve very easily. Another thread talked about this.

• Like 1

I would say Kingman is right. Those bushings seem to do a lot of stuff to your vehicle when they go bad. I wasn't saying 4wd was the answer, I was just asking.

James just reiterated what I said...

• Like 1

um...if he was in 4wd, and one of the hubs didn't lock then one of the front wheels would experience less resistance and swerve that direction. Also, if you are in 4wd and you are in desperate need of an alignment, then you will swerve very easily. Another thread talked about this.

If one of the hubs isn't locked, that side will get all the power. The front diff is open, so whichever side has least resistance gets all the power.

I would say the issue is more in the rear end. Check your rear trailing arm bushings and panhard bushings. Also check that everything looks straight back there. If it's not that, I would surmise it's possible your differential has locked up. I know of a few guys with Z31s who've encountered pull from the rear axle, because the CLSD locked up from wear. The WD21 LSD is R200, right?

Anyway, I doubt it's a front-end issue. Check all that rear-end stuff and tell us what you see.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think since the rig was on maui in the heat and alot of the rubber/poly stuff is work this may be my solution. And as always thanks for the friendlyt advice i will advise you all of what I find.

No, the rear end in a pathfinder is an H233. It's a solid axle, not independent like the R series. And it would be very hard for an H series to "lock" up as it's not a conventional CLSD. The front, on the other hand IS an R200.

Edited by silverton
  • Like 1

A Live Axle is a type of Solid Axle. Just saying.

I never would have guessed the front diff was R200 though. I thought those were LSD. My front end spins free and open.

Whoops, you're right! it's an R200A, and they came in open and limited slip varieties, but... pathfinders are only open.

Whoops, you're right! it's an R200A, and they came in open and limited slip varieties, but... pathfinders are only open.

Okay, see, now it all fits.

Point is, the front wheels aren't going to cause swerve if one of the hubs isn't locked. All the power will just go to the unlocked wheel and waste your gas.

So heres the scoop. My brother has a 90 two door I have been helping him go over. When I give it some gas it swerves to the right. When you come off the gas it swerves to the left . Any ideas?

Im going to be no help. I saw the topic and I really wanted to say the following....

Hold the wheel tighter? LoL

If you buy the poly bushings from 4x4parts.com there's no pressing at all. Burn the old rubber out (if you even need to) and cut the sleeve with a hacksaw, then take a chisel and hammer it out. Easy as pie.

Yep, no help. Holding the wheel doesn't do any good as the rear axle physically shifts under the rear of the truck.

Well Then...Sorry? LoL Being No Help Like A Boss. Hell Yea!

we all know he's here because that didn't work! :tongue:

Hush up Captain Obvious. LOL