Split Trailing Arm Bushings

accurrate1

I was in dealer few weeks ago, the service manager called me and show me the both upper and lower control arms needs to be replace. He quote me $1,100 and offer me %10 discount for only $990 (he said) in total, I told him "NO THANKS!"and drove away.

I then ordered thsoe bushings from 4x4parts and some kyb shocks have local guy installed for me. I was very happe with the proformerce but I notes the whole back end become stiff and doomm sound come from the back of inside the truck make me crazy. I try to let out some air on the real tires from 35 to 32psi to soft the real a bit, it helps but not a lot. Has any one installed those bushings experince the some thing? I'm seriously thinking change back to the factory control arms!!! Thanks!

I didnt notice any negative things about my 4x4parts bushings, all good things.

I definitely dont have any "doomm" sound from my rear end though

Maybe something else was messed with during instalation? Maybe the stablilizer links??

Is not low-pitched sound because I just have my u-joints replaced, more like "doomm" sound from the back of the truck like some one with cheap AMP and speakers and when speed up to 60 or hit small bumps. I an thinking could be the combination of kyb shocks and bushings? The sound just making me nuts!!!

Edited by accurrate1

I run Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, that might be the promble, and what you mean by "NVH"?

I was thinking about that too, the sound could be caused by the "tires and transmitted from the axle through the harder control arm bushings", so I let some air out of the tires. it does help a bit but not a lot.

Might just be a change in the frequency from the new bushings causing a severe/louder resonance. Also givin that it's a new/louder noise you may be focusing on it whereas you automatically ignored it before. (not sure if i explained it correctly)

I'd say have have the shop take another look it as others have suggested.

I run Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, that might be the promble, and what you mean by "NVH"?

I was thinking about that too, the sound could be caused by the "tires and transmitted from the axle through the harder control arm bushings", so I let some air out of the tires. it does help a bit but not a lot.

NVH is Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. Big part of designing a car.

I hope your tires are at a good pressure for street use.

Did you make sure the bushings are greased? thats very important, thats why i try to do all auto work myself, you never know if a mechanic cuts corners and itll be restless not knowing for sure. If you do it yourself, you know for sure

• 2 years later...

Maybe the cause is due to the trailing arms were tighten when the wheels were hanging down from the hoist.

this will cause funny noise as the bushings are working hard in one direction and not in the other,

All the bolts have to be left hand tie and to be Torque with all 4 wheels on the ground. Bounce the rear end a couple of times and then torque the bolts 103 to 116 foot pounds. This should take care of funny noise you heard as the bushings are working hard against the motion of the trailing arms.

As for greasing the bushing is a NO as grease will shorten the life and destroy the bushings. Only grease the inner sleeve on the bushings where the bolts goes through. Let me know if this will solve your problem.

Edited by shelbytazo

Just went through a whole debacle related to this (still going), and I was able to cure some clanking I heard by tightening my shock mounts and stabilizer bar bolts. I would try that sine it's free. Otherwise, make sure your spare tire is tightened down and check for any play in the control arms. Could be panhard bar bushings.

Hope it helps!