ABS and brake light

hillbillybob

This has happened since i got it. this is the chain of events that has happened and this was before i knew about the forum. I got my pathy with the check engine light on. 2 days later i drove it halfway across the state to use as a hunting rig in elk camp. and during the day one of the times i un-did the battery to reset the computer and after that the check engine light was off but the ABS and brake light were on. and while driving i discovered that if I made a right hand turn the lights would shut off and if i kept driving straight the lights wouldn't come back on until i made any sort of a left hand adjustment or turn. it did this for approx a month until after an afternoon of easy off-roading that the lights were off and did not come back on. and after 2 months of everything going fine and no check engine light or ABS and brake light, i go to leave work and the ABS and brake light are on and will not go off no matter which way i turn.

in elk camp i also discovered a loose wheel bearing and tighten it and havent had a problem since. ( been meaning to repack but havent got around to it yet)

working on other vehicles i know some have the ABS tone ring mounted to the front cv axles. could it be something shifting depending on which way it was turning? could the loose wheel bearing tore up something?

It seems like you have a few problems going on at the same time.

You have:

1) lights going on and off

2)check engine light

3)ABS and Brake light

4) wheel bearing/front end things

usually when both the ABS and brake lights come on and the parking brake isn't on, your brake fluid is low. You might want to check it. If the fluid isn't low, then you might have air in the lines. This has happened to me on three occasions and and the brake fluid fixed it. This has always happened with 2 other vehicles I've worked on.

I might be wrong, but brake problems don't set off the CEL.

Your CEL is going on and off. You might want to check why. I have a feeling it's unrelated to the rest of your problems.

Your lights are going off when you turn right? sounds like a loose wire. I don't know how turning your wheels would knock something loose. Maybe something running across your steering column?

you should go ahead and repack your wheel bearings. I think there's a thread on here on how to do it.

the CEL was on constantly when i got it once i reset it, it hasnt come back on but was replaced by the ABS and the brake light coming on and off.

and the lights turning on and off while turning was refering to the abs and brake light.

every time they come on, the brake light comes on first and half a second later the ABS light comes on.

never one without the other. and when they turn off both go out at the exact same time.

the CEL was on constantly when i got it once i reset it, it hasnt come back on but was replaced by the ABS and the brake light coming on and off.

and the lights turning on and off while turning was refering to the abs and brake light.

every time they come on, the brake light comes on first and half a second later the ABS light comes on.

never one without the other. and when they turn off both go out at the exact same time.

ohhhhhh ok. The ABS and Brake lights BOTH being on is pretty classic of having low fluid or air in the lines. Check the reservoir. The lights going on and off might be a loose sensor or maybe possibly fluid sloshing around?

Simplest and easiest thing to check is fluid level, it gets so low it will trip the light. Turning will give it the wave affect in the master cyl. resivour and trip it on/off depending how it hits it. Just remember, adding fluid will remove the symptom but not the cause, the hydraulic system of the brakes is a sealed system and should not lose a drop so it's a sign your losing fluid or it's time to pull the wheels and check your brakes as you got some low pads

ok! Thanks I wasnt sure how the pathfinders did the low brake fluid sensor on the vehicles im familiar with only the brake light comes on with low fluid. haha I'll have to drag the girlfriend out to the garage to help bleed the brakes and just replace the fluid.

ok! Thanks I wasnt sure how the pathfinders did the low brake fluid sensor on the vehicles im familiar with only the brake light comes on with low fluid. haha I'll have to drag the girlfriend out to the garage to help bleed the brakes and just replace the fluid.

I did my front brakes and replaced the calipers a couple months ago, I had to bleed them in the correct order with my ABS module unplugged to finally get the light to go off. The correct procedure is in the FSM.

perfect thanks for the info. i had looked at the fluid when it had come on and didnt think too much of it being 1/4 in above the min line but it was enough to trip the low fluid sensor, i put a little bit in and the lights went off! im still going to thoroughly inspect the brakes again so see if its leaking anywhere but its probably just from them getting worn. when its not so cold out I'll service them and throw some new pads/shoes on. i just dont enjoying working when its 10 dergrees outside!!!!

The rear shoes were prolly 35% and the front were prolly 50%. I haven't had the drums off since October and don't really remember a whole lot about them (the youngtimers is makin my memory terrible). Do they self adjust with the use of the e-brake or going in reverse and stopping?

I got my pathy at a towing company auction because the guy who owned it before me couldn't afford to get it out of impound after getting a dui, anything wrong with it doesn't really surprise me. Haha

seems odd to me that you have low fluid and plenty of pad life...

The drums are self adjusting when you reverse, but there is also a way to tighten up the slack, if any, with a brake spoon.

Wrong, they self adjust when you use the parking brake. Says so in the manual.

i put a little bit in and the lights went off!

funny how that works, huh?

Wrong, they self adjust when you use the parking brake. Says so in the manual.

yep. I've read it. self adjusting brakes. might only be the rears though