air intake

rgallant

Hello all,

I have a weird one for you I need to screen off my air intake. It seems the local rodents, I figure rats but could be squirrels, find the inside of the filter box a good nesting site. I did not take any photos but there was a good pile leaves and stuff in there.

Although it is unlikely to create any problems I thought I should ask before popping the filter box out, wrapping the intake tube in screen and putting it back in place.

Too funny! I wouldn't think that it would present a problem if you put the screen on the air box. I would be more concerned about which type of screen to use to insure that the little suckers don't chew through it.

I was going to use metal screen for screen doors. I think it is a case of "drive by nesting" they get up on the tire when I park at night see that nice inviting hole and scoot in. So anything that blocks access should work.

I used some 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth to cover the intake opening on my car. I'd previously used the material for the subfloor vent openings on my house and also to make a dirt/rock sifter for my garden. You don't want to use a screen that rodents can chew through, or one that restricts the intake opening too much.

• 3 weeks later...

If your truck is parked in the same spot for long periods of time, it interests rodents. just set your air intake to recirc instead of fresh and that should keep them from getting in.

But rodents are likely to try and nest in/on anything that moves a lot.